- Please note: This article discusses a character whose origins are outside the Tekken universe. Certain links will guide you to Street Fighter Wiki for more information about the character.
Akuma (悪魔 Akuma?, "Devil"), also known as Gouki (豪鬼 Gōki?, "Great Demon", "Great Devil" or "Great Ogre") in Japan, is a licensed guest character appearing only in Tekken 7: Fated Retribution, and one of the major antagonists of the Street Fighter series and UDON Comics. He is also a secret final boss to the game's arcade mode.
A mysterious fighter… a demon. He finds himself in the middle of the Mishima blood feud by a pre-existing relationship with Kazumi Mishima, Heihachi's wife. He makes his debut in Tekken 7 promising to fulfill a debt owed to Kazumi.
A mysterious individual whose origins remain still murky, Akuma originally was the one of two students who trained to be the heir of a powerful yet obscure martial in Japan. Under his master Goutetsu and with his brother Gouken, into their late youth, Goutetsu soon began tutelage to the more brutal secrets behind their martial art and revealed the central aspect which was responsible for their style to be known as a killing art. As Gouken left amicably to found his own branch of the school that did not rely on drawing upon its darker and potentially lethal aspects, Akuma continued on to inherit the school's killing tradition. Much unlike his master, who embraced its lethal aspects to a controllable, sensible degree, Akuma took the malevolent aspects further and cast off his humanity to fully realize the true strength of his style. To truly inherit the school, Akuma challenged Goutetsu to a duel to the death and defeated his master in battle. Unknown to him, Gouken was on his way to see Goutetsu after years of separation, and witnessed the end result of the fight. Since then, Gouken and Akuma parted ways as enemies and would come to fiercely clash over the direction of their martial art's disposition well into the future.
Sometime after Heihachi reclaimed the Mishima Zaibatsu, Akuma watches from a distance as an air raid destroys an entire city. He then confronts his target at the Mishima dojo, but their battle is interrupted by a Jack-6 army sent by Kazuya. The two of them temporarily join forces to defeat the onslaught of robots. Afterwards, Akuma introduces himself to Heihachi and explains that he was sent by the late Kazumi to kill both her husband and son. Upon asked by Heihachi about why he waited so long to fulfill the promise, Akuma replies that he was waiting until Heihachi had become stronger. Emerging victorious, Akuma seemingly kills Heihachi and destroys the Mishima dojo.
He later goes to the top of G Corporation tower to fight and kill Kazuya. Gaining the upper hand in the fight, Akuma forces Kazuya into a corner, prompting him to transform into Devil. However, before there is a victor, their fight is interrupted by Heihachi, who had survived and faked his death. The Mishima Zaibatsu CEO fires a power laser from a space satellite, destroying G Corporation tower.
Akuma survives the attack, and confronts Kazuya once more in the volcanic pit after Kazuya killed Heihachi. With his opponent in his devil form, Akuma finds himself locked in an intense fight. The battle reaches its climax when Akuma fires a Hadoken at Kazuya's devil beam attack, destroying the volcanic surroundings. The final outcome of the fight is unknown.
As Akuma is originally from Street Fighter, he possess the elements of his fighting style that are associated with that series. His trademark attacks are the staples of all the practitioners of his fighting style: the Gohadoken (a wave of spirit energy fired from the hands that acts as a ranged attack; Akuma can also imbue the attack with thermal energy, creating the Shakunetsu Hadoken), the Goshoryuken (a rising reverse-hand uppercut that can hit one or three times), and the Tatsumaki Zankukyaku (a move where the user spins themselves through the air with their leg outstreched, kicking their opponent several times). Of the practitioners of his style, he also possesses unique moves such as the Zanku Hadoken (a jumping variation of the Hadoken that the user throws at an angle as he descends) and Ashura Senku (a move that allows the user to phase forward or backwards, immune to attack until they cease). He also possesses a diving kick called the Tenma Kujinkyaku that allows him to stop his forward momentum in air and come down with a sharp kick from above.
Akuma's Power Crush move is derived from his Focus Attack (a technique that serves a similar purpose to the Power Crush in the Street Fighter IV series). Unlike the other Tekken 7: Fated Retribution fighters, Akuma does not have a Rage Drive. Instead he is governed by a separate bar at the bottom of the screen. This bar can be used to enhance the properties of his moves (referred to as "EX moves", a concept lifted from Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact) or, when full, execute a "Super Combo" that drains the full bar (another feature pulled from Street Fighter; specifically Super Street Fighter II Turbo). Akuma's Super Combo is a much more powerful version of the Gohadoken called the Messatsu Gohado. His super meter can also be used to execute a "Focus Attack Dash Cancel" using his Power Crush move by executing a Power Crush in the middle of another attack. Doing this instantly stops the animation of the preceding attack, at which point Akuma can dash forward and combo off the canceled move. This is a mechanic inherited from Street Fighter IV.
In Tekken (Mobile) as a boss character during the Live Events and his Act, Akuma also gains the Messatsu Goshoryu a powerful version of the Goshoryuken serving as his hidden move when he hits the player with Goshoryuken. If it connects, he will deal another Goshoryuken in multiple hits to deal additional heavy damage to the player.
His Rage Art is the Thousand Heaven: Shun Goku Satsu known as the Wrath of the Raging Demon. If it connects, he can destroy an opponent's soul and renders his/her opponent dead. This move appears identical to his regular Shun Goku Satsu. In his latest appearance in Street Fighter V this is clearly seen how Akuma destroys the opponent's soul with his Shun Goku Satsu; the attack was revealed to be a series of progressively faster teleport punches around the opponent's body until it progressively goes fully black screen again. When slowed down, the punches in particular are shown to be targeting vital weak spots located throughout the body, solidifying that the technique utterly destroys the opponent's body.
Akuma utilizes an unknown type of Ansatsuken as a fighting style. Ansatsuken is not a specific fighting style but instead is a Japanese neologism that refers to any kind of style created that is used with the intention of ending your opponent's life. His style, unofficially refered to as Shotokan, utilizes attacks and maneuvers found in Karate, Judo, and Kempo, and adapts central aspects of ki to allow for beyond optimal physical abilities to its practitioners, including performing great feats with nearly superhuman finesse and being able to release one's own ki to unleash as projectiles or to augment their attacks.
Due to its origins as a killing art, the originating style makes the use of the "Satsui no Hado" (殺意の波動 Satsui no Hadō, lit. "Surge of Murderous Intent") (or Dark Hado) that bestows a dangerous and lethal edge. The Satsui no Hado is an incredibly destructive and deadly surge of ki that is said to be gained upon both understanding the dynamics of its workings into becoming a powerful and expert fighter, but taps into the malevolent and darker aspects of human instinct, including the drive to win at all costs, and the willingness to end the life of opposition to attain victory. Those who are strong enough to embrace the Hado corrupting their body will gain monstrous power arguably stronger than even that of the Devil Gene. However, the weak and ill-trained who attempt to embrace it, and especially immediately into its greater degrees will be driven to the brink of insanity.
As the original martial art style used as a martial art of assassination and destruction, Akuma has long derived his strength from the Satsui no Hado to establish his might and prowess as a martial artist known as the "Master of the Fist". Many of his attack's names are also significant of their overwhelming might; the use of the kanji for "great" in their Japanese spelling implies power like that of a god able to end human lives with merely a wave of their hand. From this, the signature attacks of the school into his use are said to maim and injure, including his Hadoken able to kill with ki disruptive and physically concussive force and his Shoryuken able to slice and cut merely by its air pressure. After spending decades under the influence of the Satsui no Hado, Akuma has been able to learn one of the most forbidden and deadliest moves known to man; the Shun Goku Satsu, an attack that destroys an opponent's soul and renders them permanently deceased.
To date, his mastery of the Satsui no Hado has enabled him to transform into an even more powerful type of entity, known as Oni. Oni is the form Akuma takes, when the Satsui no Hado completely overtakes him and is much, much more powerful. Akuma in Oni-form is borderline godhood.
|Intro Quotes||Win Quotes|
|Your strength mirrors a child's beguilement.||You can't even understand your own power.|
You challenge me!?
|Weaklings should perish.|
|A battle to the death... (Vs. Heihachi/Kazuya)|
|So you possess that power too? (Vs. Jin/Devil Jin)|
|I would have never expected to see you again. (Vs. Kazumi)|
Street Fighter x Tekken win quotes
|Street Fighter characters||Tekken characters||Other characters|
|Your fighting spirit is pathetic! An impoverished soul will never lay hands upon me!||You assume the form of a human, but you are nothing but a soulless imitation||The path of destruction I carve brings even the gods of thunder to their knees!|
|Only one can be the true master of the fist!||Challenging me shows your stupidity knows no bounds!||Imitators will know only death!|
|You think you know power? I will show you true power, worm!||With a body like that, you could never hope to overcome my fists of destruction!||Coward! What did you hope yo accomplish before me?|
|The fangs of a mere beast could never pierce the Satsui no Hado!||Even in your madness, you retain enough sense to tremble before my might!||Hades welcomes all.|
|There is no mercy on the battlefield! Only death for the weak!||Feelings of attachment have no place on the battlefield! Fool!||A beast with the power of Hadoken? Sacrilege!|
|If you do not fear death, little girl, then I will usher you to hell!||We're not finished yet! Live up to your reputation, stand up and face me again!|
|The only thing that awaits a common criminal is a fitting death!||A dog who only barks deserves to be put down!|
|The flames of a god are powerless before the Satsui no Hado!||A machine could never hope to stand against me!|
|There is no place for rules in a fight to the death!||Your suffering has only just begun!|
|If you want to listen to something, listen to the screams of those who have died by my hand||The power of my Satsui no Hado surpasses all. It is impossible for the likes of you to understand!|
|A defensive strategy will get you nowhere! Fall at the hands of a demon!||I will put an end to your arrogance! Know shame in death!|
|Such weakness is the pride of Bushinryu?!||Prepare yourself for death! I will grind your bones into dust!|
|Only those who are true martial artists should challenge me! You are nothing but a clown!||Neither man or beast can dare stand up to the Satsui no Hado!|
|Challenging me as you did was utter nonsense!||Your hesitation will be your downfall!|
|You yelp about a true battle to the death... Is that all you've got, little girl?!||Disappear from this world forever!|
|Begone, boy! Your pathetic skills are nothing but a mockery of the Satsui no Hado!||To fight is to know carnage and embrace death. You know nothing.|
|Your power crumbles before Satsui no Hado! Fool! I will send you to hell again!||Leave my sight, girl! Unless you want to be buried here!|
|Everything crumbles before my fist! You are nothing before me!||Throw yourself at me with all your might! Everything is powerless against the Satsui no Hado!|
|Bringing weapons to a fight is the sign of a powerless fool!||A battle to the death is not a game! Feel my murderous intentions!|
|Keep talking, whelp! Hell welcomes you with open gates!||My fist grows even stronger!|
|These fists bring destruction! Show me your true strength!||Your stupidity has prevented you from feeling fear!|
|Perish as the loser that you are! Your shame knows no bounds!||Fool, did you think your children's games would work on me?|
|Your pitiful imitation of the Satsui no Hado enrages me!||Strike me a thousand times! You cannot even lay a scratch on me!|
|Spew your nonsense from the afterlife! I have no interest in your idiotic ideals!||This is the battlefield, a place of suffering and death! It is no place for a spoiled little girl!|
|Stand before me, and fall in defeat!||You couldn't scratch me even with a demonic sword!|
- Kazumi Mishima - She saved his life at one point and later entrusted him with the task of killing Heihachi and Kazuya Mishima.
- Heihachi Mishima - One of his targets in Tekken 7. Defeats and nearly kills him.
- Kazuya Mishima - His other target in Tekken 7. Their first fight is interrupted by Heihachi, and the outcome of their second battle is currently unknown.
- Ogre - His rival in Street Fighter X Tekken (non-canon, alternate continuity that is a part the of ‘’Namco X Capcom series). Akuma considers Ogre a "pathetic welp" and simply wishes to see the creature prove its worth to him through battle.
- Akuma is the second licensed character to appear in the Tekken franchise after Gon in Tekken 3. He was followed by Geese Howard from SNK franchises as the third licensed character and Noctis Lucis Caelum from Final Fantasy XV as the fourth.
- His and Geese's appearance marks this game the second time Capcom and SNK characters have clashed, with SNK vs Capcom: SvC Chaos being the first.
- His current voice actor, Taketora, is also the voice actor of Panda in the movie, Tekken: Blood Vengeance.
- In his main appearance in Street Fighter V, Akuma's English voice actor is Richard Epcar who also voices Azazel in Tekken 6 and Geese Howard in Tekken 7.
- His presence in Tekken 7: Fated Retribution could take place alter the events of Street Fighter X Tekken, as part of the process of Namco Bandai's own crossover game with Capcom, Tekken X Street Fighter.
- In Tekken 7, as he is a character from the Street Fighter series, Akuma is the only character to have a special move cancel, a Focus Attack, and an EX/Super gauge (in place of a Rage Attack).
- When Akuma is defeated in the secret final boss stage, Akuma's body is glowing in purple miasma due to him having succumbed to the Satsui no Hado while unleashing his immense demonic power before the start of the credits.
- In (Ultimate) Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Fate of Two Worlds) and Street Fighter X Tekken, Akuma is called either by his international name, or his Japanese name, Gouki, depending on the region or subtitle language.
- The Abandoned Temple stage has a pair of Nio statues overlooking the stage. These are guardians in Buddhist mythology who watch over sacred Buddhist sites. Akuma's design as a character is heavily inspired by these, hence their appearance on "his" stage.
- In the Kiwami Campaign, where all of the Tekken characters received new costumes for their customizations, Akuma got his Pocket Fighter costume.
- He also gains his Swap Costume from Street Fighter X Tekken as part of his customizations.
- His Shin Shun Goku Satsu quote is not a direct translation; in Japanese, it is meant to say, "One blink, a thousand strikes" (一瞬千撃 isshun sengeki) while the English version rewrites this to a more appropriate and murderous "Die one thousand deaths", emphasizing Akuma's bloodthirsty disposition.
- It is currently unexplained how Heihachi survived Akuma's Shun Goku Satsu, which attacks the opponent's very soul; It is currently credited to Heihachi's own endurance and fortitude, which was weakened enough for Kazuya to finish him off.
- He is the only guest character to be part of the main storyline.
- In Tekken (Mobile), all of Akuma's 1 to 4-Star appearances reference the random color pallete swaps in the Street Fighter series.