Asuka in Tekken Tag Tournament 2
|Full Name||Asuka Kazama|
|Also Known as||Gang Mediator|
|Fighting Style||Kazama-style Traditional Martial Arts|
|Occupation||Student at an unnamed high school in Osaka|
|Family||Mr. Kazama (Father)|
|Game Appearances||Tekken 5|
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion
Tekken 3D: Prime Edition
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Street Fighter X Tekken
|Voice Actors||Japanese: |
Seiko Ueda (Street Fighter X Tekken)
GK Bowes (Street Fighter X Tekken)
Asuka Kazama (風間飛鳥, Kazama Asuka) is a character in the Tekken series who was first introduced in Tekken 5 and has returned for every subsequent game in the series. She is mostly known to be a relative of the series lead character, Jin Kazama.
Before releasing the game in the Arcades, franchise developer Namco released images of three new characters as part of their Tekken 5 promotions back in 2004. Amongst the new characters were Asuka, a Chinese kenpo master named Feng Wei, and a mysterious ninja named Raven. Immediately afterward, speculation began to spread about Asuka's role in the story and her possible relation to Jin Kazama.
Asuka is surprisingly brash and arrogant. Although her profile states that she breaks up fights regularly, she seems to have no qualms about fighting herself and seemingly revels in it. In her story mode, after defeating her target, Feng Wei, she decides to remain in the tournament in order to "have fun." Her pre and post-match quotes also demonstrate her confidence. As stated in her Tekken 5 / Dark Resurrection prologue, Asuka is also known as being a "nosy kid" who likes to solve other people's problems, "usually by knockout."
It is also worth noting that Asuka speaks with a very heavy Kansai Japanese dialect (Kansai is a region of western Japan encompassing the cities of Kyoto, Osaka, and Kobe).
One bit of fan speculation addresses a potential romantic relationship between Jin and Asuka Kazama, which several fans have formulated after viewing the circumstances of the two relative's first encounter. However, there is little to suggest that such a pairing may actually occur, despite the conditions of their meeting often used as a setup for many romantic couples in several popular forms of Japanese media. There is also the belief that Asuka's special powers of subduing the Devil may lead to another encounter with Jin.
Asuka is an all around character. She has fast and powerful moves, with the addition of many launching attacks. This makes her good for juggles and ground combos, which gives her a great advantage in game. Her counter move is easy to execute, but must be performed as the opponent is about to hit your character. If the opponent attacks you in the middle of the reversal Asuka will take damage instead of the opponent. Overall, Asuka is one of the greatest characters in the series, with her swift and powerful moves and also one of the easiest characters to master.
Tekken 5 Manual Version
Ever since she was a child, Asuka received training in Kazama Style Traditional Martial Arts from her father. One day, Asuka's father was roughed up and sent to the hospital. A police detective told Asuka the perpetrator was likely to enter the tournament, so she decided to enter as well. Official Version Ever since she was a child, Asuka had received training in Kazama Style Traditional Martial Arts from her father. Born with a strong sense of justice, Asuka was well known around Osaka for breaking up fights in the neighborhood.
Upon returning home one day, Asuka found pupils of her father had been roughed up. She learned from her father's pupils that an unknown Chinese man showed up at the dojo, severely beat them, and put Asuka's father in the hospital.
Several days later, an Interpol detective from Hong Kong came to investigate the incident, mentioning that the suspect is most likely planning to enter The King of Iron Fist Tournament. Upon hearing this, Asuka decides that she will also enter the tournament.
Ending: Asuka defeats Jinpachi Mishima, who dissolves into dust. Meanwhile, the advanced effects of Devil Jin's transformation disappear (the horns and the wings are gone), leaving a half-transformed Jin. Asuka rushes to Jin and tries to revive him, wondering what she should do. Though she is unaware of it, her touch undoes the final remnants of the Devil Jin transformation, and Jin wakes up in his human state. Alarmed at his unfamiliar surroundings, Jin tries to stand up quickly, tripping over Asuka and landing face-first between her breasts. Enough time passes for a small rock to roll to the ground before Jin finally sits up. Asuka, embarrassed at first, immediately turns angry and demands Jin to explain himself. Jin, however, seems to be completely oblivious to the moment and continues to wonder where he is. Believing this to be a front, Asuka angrily power-punches Jin into a large rock, calling him a pervert as she does this, and then she stomps away angrily, leaving Jin to ask, "What was that all about?" Immediatly after, a rock ironically falls on his head and knocks him out.
Asuka entered The King of Iron Fist Tournament 5 in order to avenge her father, who was injured by Feng Wei, but to her dismay, he was nowhere to be found, and, as the tournament ended, she returned to her calm and normal life disappointed.
However, her life didn't stay peaceful for long, as Asuka discovered that Jin Kazama was the man responsible for the terrible war going on all over the world. She enters The King of Iron Fist Tournament 6 in order to capture Jin Kazama.
Ending: Asuka is hastily peddling her bike. She exclaims that she's going to be late for school. As she is about to seemingly careen into the place (may or may not be Mishima High), Lili's limousine appears out of nowhere. Asuka shouts in surprise, and crashes her bike, making her lunch fall to the ground. Lili gets out of the limo in her school uniform, and states that her first day at school is completely ruined. Asuka angrily shouts at her, "Are you some sort of idiot?!" Then the two of them engage in a fight, exchanging powerful blows at each other. Lili's driver quickly gets out of the limousine from the front passenger's side and runs away for his life.
Asuka appeared in the crossover game Street Fighter X Tekken as a playable character, her partner is Lili and their rivals are Chun-Li and Cammy.
Asuka is featured as a playable character in Tekken Tag Tournament 2. She have her original moveset from Tekken 6 with a few new ones added and a wide range of special team alliances.
Ending: Two gangs are having a problem. They keep on bickering and babbling until Asuka comes and reconciles both sides of the argument. When Asuka encourages them to apologize to each other, she moves and her breasts shake accidentally. Both gangs leaders stare at them but Asuka yells at them and sends them flying. As she goes to leave, one of the members says "She is an annoying gang mediator!" When Asuka hears him she kicks him in the face, saying "I don't appreciate being called annoying". She then hears another arument taking place nearby and runs to intervene while telling the gang members "Remember, make peace!" They immediately respond "Yes, maam!"
- Jin Kazama
- Feng Wei
- Lili de Rochefort
- Devil Jin
- Jun Kazama
- Ling Xiaoyu
- Alisa Bosconovitch
- Heihachi Mishima
- Kazuya Mishima / Devil
- Jinpachi Mishima
- Mr Kazama - Her father for whom she enters the fifth Iron Fist Tournament solely to avenge. She was to seek out her father's attacker, Feng Wei.
- Jin Kazama - A/her relative. With the knowledge that he is a relative, she enters the sixth Iron Fist Tournament to capture him.
- Jun Kazama - A/Her relative. They share the same Kazama Style martial arts background and "Kazama Blood" power but have opposite personalities.
- Emilie de (Lili) Rochefort - Her rival, Asuka defeated her in Dark Resurrection. Lili is also her partner in Street Fighter X Tekken.
- Feng Wei - Her enemy and father's attacker prior to the events of Tekken 5. Asuka holds a grudge against Feng Wei for destroying her father's dojo and putting him in the hospital.
- Lei Wulong - Her friend, whom informed her of Feng Wei's participation in Tekken 5.
- Ling Xiaoyu - Her possible rival due to differences of their intentions to Jin. In the Scenario Campaign, Asuka referred to Xiaoyu as the woman who attacked her dojo and Xiaoyu, due to her initial disknowledge of Asuka being related to Jin, thought she was after Jin for the same reason as her own therefore initially thinking of Asuka as a "love rival".
- Alisa Bosconovitch - Alisa tried kill Asuka in the Online Tekken Comic, later she makes up with her and tells her the real purpose of her mission, cheerfully apologizing for the troubles she caused (non-canon).
- Leo Kliesen - Her friend in the online Tekken Comic (non-canon).
- Asuka's name is written as 風間 飛鳥 (Kazama Asuka) in Kanji and as かざま あすか (Kazama Asuka) in Hiragana.
- The kanji individually mean: (風 kaza) wind; (間 ma) space between something or a gate; (飛 asu) to fly; (鳥 ka) bird.
- Asuka was named after the river Asuka in Nara-ken. Katsuhiro Harada's parents live near there.
- Asuka is voiced by Ryoko Shiraishi.
- She speaks with an Osakan Kansai dialect.
- Asuka has been in the opening intro of every Tekken game so far since her debut and wears a different costume in all three openings.
- It was revealed in Alisa's journal that she is a substitute teacher at her father's dojo.
- Asuka was referred to as Jin's cousin in Tekken 6/Bloodline Rebellion and Street Fighter X Tekken, however, according to Harada (on his Twitter account), Asuka and Jin are not really cousins.
- In Scenario Campaign, if the played as Alisa on Asuka's stage (Scenario Campaign), Alisa said she assumed that Jin and Asuka might be a brother and sister.
- Asuka appeared in the Online Tekken Comic, along with Emilie De Rochefort, Leo Kliesen, and her unnamed father, as the main character.
- Asuka was criticized for having large hands in-game, larger than any other female.
- Asuka is the fourth character to appear as a student, and is the first one that isn't a student at Mishima High (though there is some debate over this).
- In Tekken the Pachislot 2nd, however, she and Lili are in Mishima High along with Ling Xiaoyu, this isn't canon however.
- Asuka has somewhat large breasts that would jiggle both in-game and in her Tekken 5 ending.
- Asuka is often compared to Sakura from the Street Fighter series.
- Asuka is a fan of hip-hop music, and is also shown to be a very skilled lyricist.
- Asuka typically gets a new ff+2 each game.
- In Tekken 6, her Mist Palm Thrust is now SS 2 to make way for Rangetsu.
- In Tekken Tag Tournament 2, her Rangetsu is now u/f+2 to make way for Hiboko no Kagami and Higata no Kagami.
- Asuka's sub-boss is Feng Wei, the unknown Chinese man that destroyed her father's dojo and injured him and his students.
- Asuka has two alternative costumes. Both of them are bought simultaneously for 500,000 gold. One is a schoolgirl uniform, selectable by pressing the "Triangle" button, and the other is a geisha-like outfit, selectable by pressing the "Circle" button. In Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, these costumes are available from the start of the game, without having to purchase them.
- Asuka's geisha-like outfit also gives her a tattoo on her inner left thigh that says 通天閣 (Tsuutenkaku). "Tsuutenkaku" is the name of a famous tower in Osaka, Asuka's hometown, and it may have been the one that Asuka jumped off of during the Tekken 5 opening.
- Like several other characters, Asuka has a secret move. Asuka's secret move will only work against Jin Kazama and it is called "Asuka's Ultimate Tackle".
- In Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, one of Asuka's customization items is Jun Kazama's hairstyle. She also has knee-high socks that are very similar to the ones that Jun wears with her Player One costume, with the only difference being that Asuka's are navy blue, while Jun's are pale blue.
- It is reaveled that Asuka has the same abillity as Jun to undo the devil gene as seen in her ending when she tries to wake Jin up and his devil markings disappear.
- She retains her Player One and Player Two outfits from Tekken 5. Her schoolgirl outfit has also returned, but as a customization item. She also gains a Matsuri outfit that is traditionally worn in Japanese festivals as a customization item. It consists of a vest with cords tied on the sleeves and the back, with a bra top underneath, shorts, and knee-high, boot-like, open-toed sandals. Several customized versions of the vest have been seen with different colors and designs.
- Asuka's Item Moves are a giant white paper fan and a bow and arrow.
- On the official North American Tekken 6 website, Asuka was incorrectly stated as being Jin's half-sister, despite them not sharing a biological parent. While they are related, at that time they were thought to be 'only' cousins (Harada revealed much later that they were not siblings of any sort, nor cousins. But in some manner they are related, as they are part of the same clan, evidenced by the last name). This has since been corrected on the North American website, but the error is still present on the European website.
- In Tekken 6, Asuka can be customized to look like Claire Redfield from the Resident Evil series, and Mizore Shirayuki from the manga/anime series Rosario+Vampire.
- In the Tekken 6 Artbook showing her 3P costume, she is seen choking Paul Phoenix with her scarf.
- Her ending is quite similar to Hwoarang's ending in Tekken 5.
- Her Stage 1 and Stage 2 opponents in the Arena mode are Lei Wulong and Feng Wei.
- She is an opponent to Feng Wei (stage 2) and Ling Xiaoyu (stage 1) in the Arena mode.
- If you play as Jin Kazama in Scenario Campaign and play in her stage, Jin says: "Asuka Kazama? So, that would make you my cousin, and a particularly loud and annoying one at that". Nevertheless, this clearly does not prove their relationship.
- However, If Lars is played in Scenario Campaign on Asuka's stage, Alisa will state that a sibling of Jin Kazama's mother has opened the dojo. This means that Asuka or her father could be a sibling of Jun. Despite these facts, Harada has stated (as explained above) that they were not cousins but only relatives.
- If you pair up Asuka and Jin, a special win pose shows Asuka offering a kind of "good teamwork" hand but Jin, instead of answering with shaking her hand, does not respond to her and walks away. She then glares after him. Another win pose shows Asuka ponting at him accusingly but Jin walks past her. She, however, keeps glaring at him.
- Asuka also shares a win pose with Lili, where they high-five each other too hard and hurt each other. They also share a "Continue?" cut scene where both girls keep slapping each other until Asuka finally knocks her down.
- Asuka can be customized to look like Kaname Chidori from the Full Metal Panic series.
- In all of the trailers so far, Asuka appears and she teams up with her relative, Jin.
- Asuka's Tekken Tag Tournament 2 CG Art pose is similar to Chun-Li's Street Fighter IV pose.
- In the teaser Asuka and Lili vowed to never team-up in the tournament but in this video, (at 1:20) you will see that they gave each other a high-five after they won.
- Many of Asuka's custom items match Jun's.
- Asuka's partners in the Ghost Battle (in order from lowest to highest rank) are Feng Wei, Jun Kazama, Miharu Hirano, Lili de Rochefort and Jin Kazama.
See Asuka's Gallery