"You sure? You sure you wanna fight me?" (私を戦いたいと思うが? Omae yara shirande..?)
Asuka Kazama is a character in the Tekken series who was first introduced in Tekken 5 and has returned for Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, Tekken 6, and Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion. She is mostly known to be the cousin of the series protagonist and lead character, Jin Kazama.
Before releasing the game in the Arcades, franchise developer Namco released images of three new characters as part of their Tekken 5 promotions back in 2004. Amongst the new characters were Asuka, a Chinese kenpo master named Feng Wei, and a mysterious ninja named Raven. Immediately afterward, speculation began to spread about Asuka's role in the story and her possible relation to Jin Kazama.
Asuka is surprisingly brash and arrogant. Though, her profile states that she breaks up fights regularly, she seems to have no qualms about fighting herself and even seemingly revels in it. In her story mode, after defeating her target, Feng Wei, she decides to remain in the tournament in order to "have fun". Her pre and post-match quotes also demonstrate her confidence. As stated in her Tekken 5 / Dark Resurrection prologue, Asuka is also known as being a "nosy kid" who likes to solve other people's problems, "usually by knockout".
It is also worth noting that Asuka speaks with a very heavy Kansai Japanese dialect (Kansai is a region of western Japan encompassing the cities of Kyoto, Osaka, and Kobe).
One awkward bit of fan speculation addresses a potential romantic relationship between Jin and Asuka Kazama, which several fans have formulated after viewing the circumstances of the two cousins' first encounter. However, there is little to suggest that such a pairing may actually occur, despite the conditions of their meeting often used as a setup for many romantic couples in several popular forms of Japanese media.
Nationality : Japanese
Occupation : Student at Mishima Polytechnic High School
Age : 17 (T5/T5DR) 18 (T6)
Alignment : Good
- Asuka's name is written as 風間 飛鳥 (Kazama Asuka) in Kanji and as かざま あすか (Kazama Asuka) in Hiragana.
- The kanji individually mean: (風 kaza) wind; (間 ma) space between something or a gate; (飛 asu) to fly; (鳥 ka) bird.
- Asuka was named after the river Asuka in Nara-ken. Katsuhiro Harada's parents live near there.
- Asuka is voiced by Ryoko Shiraishi, who also voiced as Kaede Nagase in Ken Akamatsu's manga, Negima.
- She speaks with an Osakan Kansai dialect.
- Asuka has been in the opening intro of every Tekken game so far since her debut and wears a different costume in all three openings.
- It is revealed in Alisa's journal that she is a substitute teacher at her father's dojo.
- Asuka appears in the Online Tekken Comic, along with Emilie De Rochefort, Leo Kliesen, and her unnamed father, as the main character.
- Asuka was criticized for having large hands in-game, larger than any other female.
- Asuka is the fourth character to appear as a student, and is the first one that isn't a student at Mishima High.
- In Tekken the Pachislot 2nd, however, she and Lili are in Mishima High along with Ling Xiaoyu. Unfortunately, this isn't canon.
- Asuka has somewhat large breasts that would jiggle both in-game and in her Tekken 5 ending.
- Asuka's sub-boss is Feng Wei, the unknown Chinese man that destroyed her father's dojo and injured him and his students.
- Asuka has two alternative costumes. Both of them are bought simultaneously for 500,000 gold. One is a schoolgirl uniform, selectable by pressing the "Triangle" button, and the other is a geisha-like outfit, selectable by pressing the "Circle" button. In Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, these costumes are available from the start of the game, without having to purchase them.
- Asuka's geisha-like outfit also gives her a tattoo on her inner left thigh that says 通天閣 (Tsuutenkaku). "Tsuutenkaku" is the name of a famous tower in Osaka, Asuka's hometown, and it may have been the one that Asuka jumped off of during the Tekken 5 opening.
- Like several other characters, Asuka has a secret move. Asuka's secret move will only work against Jin Kazama and it is called "Asuka's Ultimate Tackle".
- In Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, one of Asuka's customization items is Jun Kazama's hairstyle. She also has knee-high socks that are very similar to the ones that Jun wears with her Player One costume, with the only difference being that Asuka's are navy blue, while Jun's are pale blue.
- She retains her Player One and Player Two outfits from Tekken 5. Her schoolgirl outfit has also returned, but as a customization item. She also gains a Matsuri outfit that is traditionally worn in Japanese festivals as a customization item. It consists of a vest with cords tied on the sleeves and the back, with a bra top underneath, shorts, and knee-high, boot-like, open-toed sandals. Several customized versions of the vest have been seen, with different colors and designs.
- Asuka's Item Moves are a giant white paper fan and a bow and arrow.
- On the official North American Tekken 6 website, Asuka was incorrectly stated as being Jin's half-sister, despite them not sharing a biological parent. While they are related, they are 'only' cousins. This has since been corrected on the North American website, but the error is still present on the European website.
- In Tekken 6, Asuka can be customized to look like Claire Redfield from the Resident Evil series, and Mizore Shirayuki from the manga/anime series Rosario+Vampire.
- Her Stage 1 and Stage 2 opponents in the Arena mode are Lei Wulong and Feng Wei.
- She is an opponent to Feng Wei (stage 2) and Ling Xiaoyu (stage 1) in the Arena mode.
- If you play as Jin Kazama and play in her stage, Jin says: "Asuka Kazama? So, that would make you my cousin, and a particularly loud and annoying one at that." This may or may not prove their relationship.
- Asuka is shown offering some kind of "good teamwork" hand, Jin, instead of answering with shaking her hand, he did not respond to her and walked away.
- In all of the trailers so far, Asuka appears and she teams up with her cousin, Jin.
- Asuka's Tekken Tag Tournament 2 CG Art pose is similar to Chun-Li's Street Fighter IV pose.
- In the teaser Asuka and Lili vowed to never team-up in the tournament but in this video, (at 1:20) you will see that they gave each other a high-five after they won.
- Many of Asuka's custom items match Jun's.
Tekken 5 Manual Version
Ever since she was a child, Asuka received training in Kazama Style Traditional Martial Arts from her father. One day, Asuka's father was roughed up and sent to the hospital. A police detective told Asuka the perpetrator was likely to enter the tournament, so she decided to enter as well.
Ever since she was a child, Asuka had received training in Kazama Style Traditional Martial Arts from her father. Born with a strong sense of justice, Asuka was well known around Osaka for breaking up fights in the neighborhood.
Upon returning home one day, Asuka found pupils of her father had been roughed up. She learned from her father's pupils that an unknown Chinese man showed up at the dojo, severely beat them, and put Asuka's father in the hospital.
Several days later, an Interpol detective from Hong Kong came to investigate the incident, mentioning that the suspect is most likely planning to enter The King of Iron Fist Tournament. Upon hearing this, Asuka decides that she will also enter the tournament.Ending: Asuka defeats Jinpachi Mishima, who dissolves into dust. Meanwhile, the advanced effects of Devil Jin's transformation disappear (the horns and the wings are gone), leaving a half-transformed Jin. Asuka rushes to Jin and tries to revive him, wondering what she should do. Though she is unaware of it, her touch undoes the final remnants of the Devil Jin transformation, and Jin wakes up in his human state. Alarmed at his unfamiliar surroundings, Jin tries to stand up quickly, tripping over Asuka and landing face-first between her boobs, making them bigger with a "boing" sound effect. Enough time passes for a small rock to roll to the ground before Jin finally sits up. Asuka, embarrassed at first, immediately turns angry and demands Jin to explain himself. Jin, however, seems to be completely oblivious to the moment and continues to wonder where he is. Believing this to be a front, Asuka angrily power-punches Jin into a large rock, calling him a pervert as she does this, and then she stomps away angrily, leaving Jin to ask, "What was that all about?" Immediatly after, a rock ironically falls on his head and knocks him out.
Tekken 6Asuka entered The King of Iron Fist Tournament 5 in order to avenge her father, who was injured by Feng Wei, but to her dismay, he was nowhere to be found, and, as the tournament ended, she returned to her calm and normal life disappointed.
However, her life didn't stay peaceful for long, as Asuka discovered that Jin Kazama was the man responsible for the terrible war going on all over the world. She enters The King of Iron Fist Tournament 6 in order to capture Jin Kazama.Ending: Asuka is hastily peddling her bike. She exclaims that she's going to be late for school. As she is about to seemingly careen into the place (may or may not be Mishima High), Lili's limousine appears out of nowhere. Asuka screams and crashes her bike, making her lunch fall to the ground. Lili gets out of the limo in her school uniform, and states that her first day at school is completely ruined. Asuka angrily shouts at her, "Are you some sort of idiot?!" Then the two of them engage in a fight, exchanging powerful blows at each other. Lili's driver quickly get's out of the limousine from the front passenger's side and runs away for his life.
- Mr Kazama - Her father.
- Jin Kazama - Her cousin.
- Jun Kazama - Her aunt.
- Unknown - Her aunt (non-canon).
- Emilie de (Lili) Rochefort - Her rival and her partner in Street Fighter X Tekken (non canon).
- Feng Wei - Her rival. Asuka holds a grudge against Feng Wei for destroying her father's dojo and putting him in the hospital.
- Lei Wulong - Her friend, whom informed her of Feng Wei's participation in Tekken 5.