Devil in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Prologue
|Also Known as||Devil Kazuya|
|Fighting Style||Advanced Mishima-Style Fighting Karate|
|Family||Kazuya Mishima (Human-Counterpart)|
Tekken Tag Tournament
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Namco X Capcom
|Voice Actors||Japanese: |
Joji Nakata (Tekken, Tekken 2, Tekken Tag Tournament)
Kazuhiro Yamaji (Tekken: The Motion Picture)
Masanori Shinohara (Tekken 4, Namco X Capcom, Tekken: Blood Vengeance, Tekken Tag Tournament 2)
Adam Dudley (Tekken: The Motion Picture)
Kyle Hebert (Tekken: Blood Vengeance)
Devil (デビル - Debiru), also known as Devil Kazuya (デビル一八 - Debiru Kazuya), is a character who made his debut in the original Tekken and is one of the main villiains of the series. He is the cursed soul of Kazuya Mishima and later Jin Kazama. Originally a malevolent entity with the intent of possesing either Kazuya or Jin, one half has merged with Kazuya.
Though there are supposedly multiple 'devils' within the series, only the entity which inhabited Kazuya is referred to as 'Devil'. He is the final boss for every character in Tekken 2 except for himself, if you are to play with Devil then his final boss will be Angel. Devil can take his own form or can takeover the body of Kazuya or Jin to become Devil Kazuya or Devil Jin.
After being thrown into a mountain ravine by his father, Heihachi Mishima, Kazuya Mishima was approached by an entity of frightening power known as Devil. The entity offered Kazuya the power to overthrow his father in exchange for his soul. Kazuya, driven by anger and revenge, accepted Devil's offer. The power of Devil allowed Kazuya to finally defeat Heihachi in the final round of the First King Of Iron Fist Tournament. Since Kazuya met Jun Kazama, another entity was created within Kazuya known as Angel which represented all that was good within him.
Regardless of Kazuya's internal struggles he still announced the Second King Of Iron Fist Tournament. During the final round, a vengeful Heihachi easily beats Kazuya forcing Devil to take over Kazuya's body, transforming him into his Hybrid form Devil Kazuya. Despite his advantages, Devil Kazuya is defeated by Heihachi and a part of his spirit flees Kazuya's unconscious body. Heihachi then threw Kazuya's lifeless body into the mouth of a volcano, leaving Kazuya's half of the Devil to be destroyed alongside his son.
In Kazuya's and Devil's Tekken 2 ending, Devil leaves Kazuya's body and becomes his own form.
The part of Devil that fled attempted to inhabit the body of Kazuya's and Jun's unborn child Jin Kazama. Jun fought this part of Devil off but it succeeded fifteen years later after her apparent demise when it branded the now teenage Jin with a mark on his left arm, possessing him. Since Jin still had the Angel side of his mother in him, Devil and Jin were not one being like that of Kazuya and his Devil.
During the climax of the Third King Of Iron Fist Tournament Jin was shot in the head by Heihachi. Revived by the Devil Gene within him, Jin reawakened as Devil Jin and made quick work of Heihachi and the guards that accompanied him. Jin has been able to use the power of Devil to transform into Devil Jin ever since.
A few days after Kazuya was thrown into a volcano by Heihachi, his body was retrieved by G-Corporation, a biotech firm. They managed to bring Kazuya back to life, which re-awoke the leftover part of Devil that existed inside his body. With G-Corporation's help, Kazuya began investigating the biomechanics of the Devil Gene within him by subjecting himself to various experiments. Kazuya believed that he would be able to control and unlock the power of the Devil Gene, and thus control the power of Devil.
Twenty years later during the events of the Fourth King Of Iron Fist Tournament, Kazuya was supposed to meet his son, Jin Kazama, in the seventh round of the tournament. Kazuya was declared the winner by default by tournament officials, however he sensed that Heihachi had some involvement in Jin's disappearance. Heihachi's plans we're to lure both Jin and Kazuya to the tournament to obtain the Devil Gene for himself. Combined with the blood of Ogre, Heihachi hoped to achieve immortality. Proceeding to the final round of the tournament Kazuya met with Heihachi and fought him in battle once again. Heihachi emerged as the victor of the fight, but was still willing to take Kazuya to Jin.
Heihachi lead Kazuya to Hon-Maru, a temple deep within the Mishima compound where Jin was being held captive. Inside Hon-Maru and upon seeing the subdued Jin, Kazuya's eyes began to glow red as Devil took control of his body. Devil confirms his theory that the other half of himself was inside Jin much to the surprise of Heihachi, who demanded to know who he was speaking with. Devil reveales himself and that after Heihachi almost killed him twenty years ago, his being seperated and that he is there to retrieve his other half.
Thanking Heihachi in the process for making the search easier, he then proceeds to knock Heihachi out of the room with his telekinetic powers. Devil attempts to absorb the rest of his being, subconsciously taunting Jin, telling Jin to curse him and hate him. But the chains that bind Jin act as a Devil Gene suppressant, preventing him from absorbing his other half. Devil presumes that the Kazama blood within Jin is the reason he can't absorb his other half, but before he can do anything else, Devil is shocked to find that Kazuya has discovered a method which unifies their power. Kazuya states that Devil has now become a part of him and has complete control over the entity's power. With Kazuya and Devil now acting as one being, Kazuya challenged the now conscious Jin, who was both confused and angry after being tormented by Devil, defeated Kazuya.
Following the Battle of Hon-Maru, Jin had fled and Kazuya woke up alongside Heihachi. Suddenly a squad of Jack-4's sent by G-Corporation ambushed Hon-Maru. The robots identified Heihachi as one of the targets and tried to take out both the weary Kazuya and Heihachi. The two fought off the attackers together, but eventually, Kazuya took an opportunity to flee and threw his father to their enemies. As Hon-Maru exploded from a self destructing Jack-4, Kazuya transformed into the his Devil form and flew away. Since completely unifiying his power with Devil, Kazuya seems to have become even more consumed by his evil side, taking over G-Corporation and attempting to take over the world with evil intent in his eyes.
Devil appeared in Tekken Tag Tournament as a playable chatacter.
Devil Kazuya appeared as a NPC boss. He is sought out by Jin and ends up fighting against heroes such as Ryu and Ken from Capcom's Street Fighter series.
He attempts to obtain the Soul Edge sword from the Soul Calibur series (also produced by Namco). He is attacked by Shadaloo because M. Bison was interested in the Devil Gene. Jin, Heihachi, and Ryu manage to spoil his plans by defeating him and returning him to his normal state.
Devil appeared in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 as a transformation for Kazuya.
- Heihachi Mishima
- Jin Kazama
- Devil Jin
- Lars Alexandersson
- Jinpachi Mishima
- Lee Chaolan
- Anna Williams
- Bruce Irvin
- Jun Kazama
- Asuka Kazama
Fighting Style Edit
Devil's fighting style resembles Mishima Karate but with the added ability of flight and a laser beam attack.
- To unlock him in the first Tekken, beat the Galaga game while the game is loading, you must get a perfect score on all 8 stages (NOTE: You cannot really play as Devil, it is just his purple third costume).
- Counts as a third costume of Kazuya (Kazuya's name is shown under his health bar instead of Devil's).
- The final boss of the game.
- To unlock him, Beat the game with Kazuya.
- His sub-boss is Jun and Heihachi.
- Has the same fighting stance as Kazuya and Baek Doo San.
- Devil's appearance in this game is completely naked with purple devilish skin.
- Devil is not a playable character but is seen in the Tekken 3 alternate introduction video.
- You can play as Devil with a hacking device. Devil's fighting style is a reused True Ogre's moveset.
- To unlock him, beat the game with eleven different characters.
- He now has his own player 2 costume while Angel counts as his alternate costume.
- His laser attack is purple as his laser attack in Tekken 2 is a yellow beam.
- One of the few characters that Mokujin/Tetsujin or Unknown cannot acquire moves of.
- When paired up with Kazuya, they both transform into each other instead of tagging in and tagging out.
- He is not playable but he appears in Kazuya's prologue and epilogue.
- He is not playable but he appears in Kazuya's prologue.
- His body parts are customized items of Kazuya, when you are in his purple tuxedo.
- Similar body's parts of him are customized items of Devil Jin.
- Devil is mentonated in Dragunov's prologue, but since Devil Jin is behind him could be ether the Devil from Kazuya or Jin.
- On the Tekken 6 image of Kazuya, his face and some of his body have purple on them. It seems that he is turning into Devil.
- Devil is now a transformed state for Kazuya as part of his moveset, while in demo version of Tekken Tag 2, Kazuya start of in his Tekken: Blood Vengeance devil form instead of human form.
- He now has some of Devil Jin's moves such as Hell Upper, Anti-Air and Ground Laser Beams.
- He now also uses Kazuya's fighting style but some of his moves are slightly different.
- The possible reason why Devil Kazuya is Kazuya's transformation other than a separate character is because of the two becoming one in the aftermath of Tekken 4 and onwards. This may also be the reason why he has the same fighting style as Kazuya.
- Angel - The possible angelic/good side of Kazuya's soul presumably from Jun. It is assumed that this entity in Kazuya was destroyed after Devil merged with Kazuya.
- Kazuya Mishima - Possessed Kazuya in exchange for saving his life which resulted in the large scar on his chest. At first, Devil, Angel and Kazuya were seperate entities that could each morph Kazuya or take their own form until Devil split to take over Jin. In the end of Tekken 4, they destroyed Angel and merged to permanently become Devil Kazuya.
- Jin Kazama - Attempted to possess him before he was born. The 2nd half of Devil possessed him later in life, resulting in the tattoo on Jin's arm. With Angel still in him, Jin is not merged with the Devil in him but can become the form Devil Jin.
- Tekken 2 suggests that Kazuya's soul was not fully consumed by Devil and that the two are, in fact, separate entities. For example, the character profile for Angel states that she represents Kazuya's good side. Also, Kazuya's Tekken 2 ending, depicts him battling against Devil, supporting this theory.
- During the time-frame of Tekken 4, Devil and Kazuya apparently act as one.
- Choosing both Kazuya and Devil in Tekken Tag Tournament, and then tagging either character into the match results in the morphing of one into the other (tagging in Devil while playing as Kazuya results in Kazuya morphing into Devil, and vice versa). Before the fight, whoever was chosen first will enter the match alone.
- Using Devil's laser bean attack on Prototype Jack, Jack-2 or Gun Jack in Tekken Tag Tournament will cause them to go bezerk and flail their arms around for a few seconds.
- Devil has not officially been a playable character since Tekken Tag Tournament, but he made a brief cameo in Tekken 5, as well as some of his body parts being able to be customized on Kazuya, such as the Devil horns, Devil wings, etc.
- Devil resembles the character "Devilman" from the OVA of the same name.
- So far only 4 devils are known to exist: Devil Jin, Devil Kazuya, Jinpachi and an unseen subject in Russia called the Devil (which is also often speculated to possible be either Devil, Devil Jin or Azazel).
- While Devil himself is not actually in Street Fighter X Tekken, an energy-like manifestation of his wings can be seen during Kazuya's Devil Beam super art.
- Devil's appearance in Kazuya's and Angel's ending on Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is his Tekken: Blood Vengeance appearance.