Devil in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Prologue
|Full Name||Devil Kazuya|
|Also Known as||Devil|
|Fighting Style||Unknown (Mishima Style Fighting Karate)|
|Family||Kazuya Mishima (Human-counterpart)|
Tekken Tag Tournament
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Namco X Capcom
Project X Zone 2
|Voice Actors||Japanese: |
Jōji Nakata (Tekken, Tekken 2, Tekken Tag Tournament)
Kazuhiro Yamaji (Tekken: The Motion Picture)
Masanori Shinohara (Tekken 4, Namco X Capcom, Tekken: Blood Vengeance, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Tekken Revolution, Tekken 7)
Adam Dudley (Tekken: The Motion Picture)
Kyle Hebert (Tekken: Blood Vengeance)
Devil (デビル Debiru?), also known as Devil Kazuya (デビルカズヤ Debiru Kazuya?), is a character who made his debut in the original Tekken and is one of the main villiains of the series. He is the cursed soul of Kazuya Mishima and later Jin Kazama. Originally a malevolent entity with the intent of possessing either Kazuya or Jin, one half has merged with Kazuya.
Though there are supposedly multiple 'devils' within the series, only the entity which inhabited Kazuya is referred to as 'Devil'. He is the final boss for every character in Tekken 2 except for himself, if the player uses Devil then his final boss will be Angel. Devil can take his own form or can take over the body of Kazuya or Jin to become Devil Kazuya or Devil Jin respectively.
Devil is a power-hungry, unforgiving entity who is motivated by power above all else, and enjoys causing pain to other people, suggesting a sadistic nature as well. He displays no remorse for the damage that he causes to others in his quest for absolute power and control over the world. He is also extremely arrogant, as he believes that his power is unmatchable. He appears to be very cunning and is ruthless in battle.
After being thrown into a mountain ravine by his father, Heihachi Mishima, Kazuya Mishima was approached by an entity of frightening power known as Devil. The entity offered Kazuya the power to overthrow his father in exchange for his soul. Kazuya, driven by anger and revenge, accepted Devil's offer. The power of Devil allowed Kazuya to finally defeat Heihachi in the final round of the first King of Iron Fist Tournament. Since Kazuya met Jun Kazama, another entity was created within Kazuya known as Angel which represented all that was good within him.
Regardless of Kazuya's internal struggles he still announced the second King of Iron Fist Tournament. During the final round, a vengeful Heihachi easily beats Kazuya forcing Devil to take over Kazuya's body, transforming him into his Hybrid form Devil Kazuya. Despite his advantages, Devil Kazuya is defeated by Heihachi and a part of his spirit flees Kazuya's unconscious body. Heihachi then threw Kazuya's lifeless body into the mouth of a volcano, leaving Kazuya's half of the Devil to be destroyed alongside his son.
In Kazuya's and Devil's Tekken 2 ending, Devil leaves Kazuya's body and becomes his own form.
The part of Devil that fled attempted to inhabit the body of Kazuya's and Jun's unborn child Jin Kazama. Jun fought this part of Devil off but it succeeded fifteen years later after her apparent demise when it branded the now teenage Jin with a mark on his left arm, possessing him. Since Jin still had the Angel side of his mother in him, Devil and Jin were not one being like that of Kazuya and his Devil.
During the climax of the third King of Iron Fist Tournament Jin was shot in the head by Heihachi. Revived by the Devil Gene within him, Jin reawakened as Devil Jin and made quick work of Heihachi and the guards that accompanied him. Jin has been able to use the power of Devil to transform into Devil Jin ever since.
A few days after Kazuya was thrown into a volcano by Heihachi, his body was retrieved by G-Corporation, a biotech firm. They managed to bring Kazuya back to life, which re-awoke the leftover part of Devil that existed inside his body. With G-Corporation's help, Kazuya began investigating the biomechanics of the Devil Gene within him by subjecting himself to various experiments. Kazuya believed that he would be able to control and unlock the power of the Devil Gene, and thus control the power of Devil.
Twenty years later during the events of the fourth King of Iron Fist Tournament, Kazuya was supposed to meet his son, Jin Kazama, in the seventh round of the tournament. Kazuya was declared the winner by default by tournament officials, however he sensed that Heihachi had some involvement in Jin's disappearance. Heihachi's plans were to lure both Jin and Kazuya to the tournament to obtain the Devil Gene for himself. Combined with the blood of Ogre, Heihachi hoped to achieve immortality. Proceeding to the final round of the tournament, Kazuya met with Heihachi and fought him in battle once again. Heihachi emerged as the victor of the fight, but was still willing to take Kazuya to Jin.
Heihachi leads Kazuya to Hon-Maru, a temple deep within the Mishima compound where Jin was being held captive. Inside Hon-Maru and upon seeing the subdued Jin, Kazuya's eyes began to glow red as Devil took control of his body. Devil confirms his theory that the other half of himself was inside Jin much to the surprise of Heihachi, who demanded to know who he was speaking with. Devil reveals himself and that after Heihachi almost killed him twenty years ago, his being seperated and that he is there to retrieve his other half.
Thanking Heihachi in the process for making the search easier, he then proceeds to knock Heihachi out of the room with his telekinetic powers. Devil attempts to absorb the rest of his being, subconsciously taunting Jin, telling Jin to curse him and hate him. But the chains that bind Jin act as a Devil Gene suppressant, preventing him from absorbing his other half. Devil presumes that the Kazama blood within Jin is the reason he can't absorb his other half, but before he can do anything else, Devil is shocked to find that Kazuya has discovered a method which unifies their power. Kazuya states that Devil has now become a part of him and has complete control over the entity's power. With Kazuya and Devil now acting as one being, Kazuya challenged the now conscious Jin, who was both confused and angry after being tormented by Devil, defeated Kazuya.
Following the battle of Hon-Maru, Jin had fled and Kazuya woke up alongside Heihachi. Suddenly, a squad of Jack-4's sent by G-Corporation to ambushed Hon-Maru. The robots identified Heihachi as one of the targets and tried to take out both the weary Kazuya and Heihachi. The two fought off the attackers together, but eventually, Kazuya took an opportunity to flee and threw his father to their enemies. As Hon-Maru exploded from the self destructing Jack-4, Kazuya transformed into his Devil form and flew away. Since completely unifiying his power with Devil, Kazuya seems to have become even more consumed by his evil side, taking over G-Corporation and attempting to take over the world with evil intent in his eyes.
Devil appeared in Tekken Tag Tournament as a playable character.
He attempts to obtain the Soul Edge sword from the Soul series (also produced by Namco). He is attacked by Shadaloo because M. Bison was interested in the Devil Gene. Jin, Heihachi, and Ryu manage to spoil his plans by defeating him and returning him to his normal state.
Devil Kazuya appeared in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 as a transformation for Kazuya.
Devil Kazuya appeared in Tekken Revolution as a transformation for Kazuya.
Devil will appear in the upcoming sequel to Project X Zone as a transformation for Kazuya.
- Angel - The possible angelic/good side of Kazuya's soul presumably from Jun. It is assumed that this entity in Kazuya was destroyed after Devil merged with Kazuya.
- Kazuya Mishima - Possessed Kazuya in exchange for saving his life which resulted in the large scar on his chest. At first, Devil, Angel and Kazuya were seperate entities that could each morph Kazuya or take their own form until Devil split to take over Jin. In the end of Tekken 4, they destroyed Angel and merged to permanently become Devil Kazuya.
- Jin Kazama - Attempted to possess him before he was born. The second half of Devil possessed him later in life, resulting in the tattoo on Jin's arm. With Angel still in him, Jin is not merged with the Devil in him but can become the form Devil Jin.
This section is currently incomplete. You can help the Tekken Wiki by expanding it.
Devil fights using Mishima Style Fighting Karate, mixed with supernatural powers.
- Tekken 2 suggests that Kazuya's soul was not fully consumed by Devil and that the two are, in fact, separate entities. For example, the character profile for Angel states that she represents Kazuya's good side. Also, Kazuya's Tekken 2 ending, depicts him battling against Devil, supporting this theory.
- During the time-frame of Tekken 4, Devil and Kazuya apparently act as one.
- Devil has not officially been a playable character since Tekken Tag Tournament, but he made a brief cameo in Tekken 5, as well as some of his body parts being able to be customized on Kazuya, such as the Devil horns, Devil wings, etc.
- Devil resembles the character "Devilman" from the OVA of the same name.
- So far, only three devils are known to exist: Devil Jin, Devil Kazuya and Devil Kazumi.
- Since Tekken 4, Kazuya/Devil mentions that he "is now complete" after absorbing Jin`s power, it is still up to debate if the dominating form within Kazuya`s body now is Kazuya himself or the "Devil" considering there are no longer two separate entities within him. It is further hinted that Devil might now be the dominating lifeform, considering Angel is assumed dead and Kazuya going from "anti-hero" to a full fledged villain during the series, the cutscene displaying his "completition" is this is canon.
- Devil's appearance in Kazuya's and Angel's Tekken Tag Tournament 2 ending is his Tekken: Blood Vengeance appearance.
- To unlock him, the player must beat the Galaga game while the game is loading and get a perfect score on all 8 stages.
- Counts as a third costume of Kazuya (his name is shown under his health bar instead of Devil's).
- The final boss of the game.
- In order to unlock him, the game must be beaten with Kazuya.
- His sub-boss is Jun Kazama and Heihachi Mishima.
- Has the same fighting stance as Kazuya and Baek Doo San.
- Devil is not a playable character but is seen in the Tekken 3 alternate introduction video.
- However, Devil can be playable with a hacking device. His fighting style is a reused True Ogre's moveset.
- To unlock him, beat the game with eleven different characters.
- He now has his own player 2 costume while Angel counts as his alternate costume.
- Devil's Inferno is purple in this game. Unlike the Tekken 2's Inferno, which was yellow.
- He is one of the few characters that Mokujin/Tetsujin or Unknown cannot acquire moves of.
- Choosing both Kazuya and Devil in Tekken Tag Tournament, and then tagging either character into the match results in the morphing of one into the other (tagging in Devil while playing as Kazuya results in Kazuya morphing into Devil, and vice versa). Before the fight, whoever was chosen first will enter the match alone.
- Using Devil's Inferno on Prototype Jack, Jack-2 or Gun Jack will cause them to go berzerk and run towards Devil or Angel while flailing his arms, shouting in agony (his K.O shout), interestingly hitting his target and causing Devil or Angel great damage.
- He is not playable but he appears in Kazuya's prologue and epilogue.
- An image of Devil can be seen on Julia Chang's epilogue while she is researching about Reforestation Program 'Genocell'.
- He is not playable but he appears in Kazuya's prologue.
- Kazuya can be customized to resemble Devil by equipping the following items: Devil's Horns, Third Eye, Devil Wings and Devil Tail on his 2P costume.
- Similar body parts of him are customization items of Devil Jin.
- Devil is now a transformed state for Kazuya as part of his moveset, while in the demo version of the game, Kazuya start of in his Blood Vengeance devil form instead of human form.
- The possible reason why Devil Kazuya is Kazuya's transformation other than a separate character is because of the two becoming one in the aftermath of Tekken 4 and onwards.
- Ironically, the only in demo version, he's somehow has a devil voice effect however, Namco Bandai somehow forgot to add that voice files for Kazuya while in Devil Form in console version then the next other Tekken fighting game releases.
- Kazuya can transform into Devil (similar to his Tekken Tag Tournament 2 appearance) by using his Rage Art. Performing the Rage Art will execute a string of moves where Kazuya transforms into Devil but if the opponent is still standing afterwards (or the attack is blocked), then Kazuya will remain as Devil for the rest of the round and gain some additional attack properties. Unlike Tag 2, Kazuya will not remain as Devil between rounds.
- While Devil himself does not actually appear in Street Fighter X Tekken, an energy-like manifestation of his wings can be seen during Kazuya's Devil Beam super art. Poison's and Ryu's Swap Costume designs are also both based on Devil.