Edgar Grant (エドガー・グラント Edogā Guranto?) is a character in Death by Degrees. Edgar killed John Doe (one of Nina Williams team's "sneakers") and Lukas Hayes (a scientist responsible for the creation of Salacia). He is a Kometa executive. Edgar poses as one of Nina's team's "sneakers", using the alias "Alan Smithee" (アラン・スミシー Aran Sumishī?). Nina, who is the game's protagonist, must occasionally protect Edgar / Alan from enemies (usually with a sniper gun).
Nina does not realize that Alan is Edgar until he shows up after she defeats Lana Lei for the second time. Edgar shoots Lana multiple times, Lana says, "Edgar...", and she presumably dies. Nina also learns that Edgar is also a "sweeper". After, Edgar reveals that he originally intended for Nina to witness his "death" and that he intends to destroy the Amphitrite to avoid publicity.
Lana, who is barely alive, gets up and shoots Edgar while screaming, "I'll see you in Hell!". Edgar supposedly dies when the Amphitrite blows up. The reason being that as Lana lays dying, she states "It's him..." to Nina. Likely she is referring to Edgar being the one to cause the Amphitrite to self-destruct. Indeed, if the player checks on Edgar's body, after the final Lana fight, it is gone. In addition, there is a blood trail leading to the deep sea sub which is also mysteriously gone. Thus, it is possible that Edgar could have survived the incident and used the submarine to escape.
- Nina Williams - He assists her and John Doe as one of the team's "sneakers", under the alias "Alan Smithee". In actuality, he is working for Kometa, and he is a "sweeper", like Nina.
- John Doe - He killed him.
- Lukas Hayes - He killed him.
- Lana Lei - He attempts to kill her by shooting her but she survives and is apparently killed by her afterwards.
- His alias "Alan Smithee" or "Allen Smithee" is a possible reference to an official pseudonym used by film directors who wish to disown a project, coined in 1968 (until its use was formally discontinued in 2000).
- In Death by Degrees, Edgar is voiced by Crispin Freeman, who voices Bruce Irvin in Tekken 5 and Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection.