Fight Lab is a new mode to the Tekken series that focuses on players using Combot in order to learn the fighting mechanics of Tekken Tag Tournament 2. This mode is what should be entered into first, especially for newcomers, as it helps gives players an understanding of how the fighting mechanics of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 work and how they can be used in battle.
Fight Lab consists of 5 stages with each of them containing their own chapters (up to 2) and a boss battle. After completing each stage you are given experience points to go towards purchasing moves for Combot in the Combot Tuning mode. More experience points are given based on how well you perform in each stage as well as how you attack the opponent i.e getting wall stuns. Currency is also provided at the end of each stage which can then be used for purchasing items such as outfits for different characters.
Throughout each stage, Violet will brief you on what needs to be performed for each chapter (and boss battle) in order for it to be completed. Each stage has its own set of mechanics that need to be performed. This goes as follows:
- Prologue - Introduction of Fight Lab and providing Combot with his own special move unique to him.
- Stage 1 - Movement and Limb Control (i.e. left punch, left kick, right punch and right kick)
- Stage 2 - Attack Methods (i.e. High, Mid and Low) and Homing Attacks
- Stage 3 - Defensive Training and Throw Breaks
- Stage 4 - Aerial Combos and Stage Gimmicks (i.e. Balcony Breaks, Wall Breaks and Floor Breaks)
- Stage 5 - Tag Play (i.e. Tag Combos, Tag Assault and Tag Grabs)
- Once Fight Lab has been completed, the difficulty of each stage will increase. This mainly applies to Chapter 2 of each stage.
- Certain stages may have different Tekken characters make an appearance such as Lili and Jack-6 in stage 2.
- In Stage 5 there are characters which are customized to represent Street Fighter characters.
- It is possible to achieve the Super Combot DX Trophy by purchasing all the 'Development Techniques' in Combot Tuning. It is best to perform boss battles repeatedly (ideally stage's 4 and 5) as they allow for credits to be acquired at a faster rate in order for moves to be purchased.