Ganryu in Tekken Tag Tournament 2
|Fighting Style||Sumo Wrestling|
|Age||32 (T1) |
|Occupation||Kazuya's Bodyguard (T2) |
Sumo Stable Owner (T5)
Owner of Chanko Paradise (T6)
P.E. Teacher (T:BV) non-canon
|Alignment||Evil (T2) Good (T5-onwards)|
Tekken Tag Tournament
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Tekken 3D: Prime Edition
Banjo Ginga (T1)
Takashi Nagasako (T2, Tekken: The Motion Picture, TTT)
Hidenari Ugaki (T5, T6, T6:BR, T:BV, TTT2, T3D:PE)
Paul St. Peter (T:BV)
Ganryu is a world famous sumo wrestler who aims to become Yokozuna and own his own wrestling ring.
Ganryu is a sumo wrestler of great merit. He is also the youngest fighter ever to gain the "Ozeki" rank. Once this title was gained, many who watched the sport (including a certain bandit leader, Yoshimitsu) thought Ganryu would reap the rewards and challenge for the title of "Yokozuna", a title he was more than capable of winning. However, his immoral style (such as starting bouts with fire breathing and a fanfare whilst taunting his opponents, coupled with his bad gambling habit) lead to a dishonorable discharge and gave Ganryu the chance to join the crime world.
This path of life lead Ganryu into pursuing one overriding purpose: to become the world's strongest man in a move that he feels is just and honorable. This, of course, lead to his arrival into the first King of Iron Fist Tournament, where he was defeated by a one-time fan, Yoshimitsu. Noticing his skill, Kazuya Misihima hired Ganryu once the former retook the Mishima Zaibatsu, paying the sumo wrestler more than enough to feed his gambling addiction. Ganryu is participating in the second tournament mainly as Kazuya's bodyguard, but he also has another motive: he hopes to build and own a sumo ring to impress his secret crush, Michelle Chang (whom he fell in love with after seeing her movements and physique), while gaining the Yokozuna title.
Ending Description: Ganryu is standing in a sumo wrestling arena. After nodding at the screen, he does some sumo moves. The scene ends with a close-up of a photograph of Ganryu.
Ganryu had been the youngest ever to attain the rank of Ozeki in Sumo.
Ganryu established a Sumo dojo in Hawaii as part of his plan for a luxurious retirement. Even though he was rejected by Michelle, he was happy at how things had turned out.
One day, Ganryu, now 55 years old, was watching a video of the King of Iron Fist Tournament 4 and spotted Julia Chang, reminding him of Michelle. He immediately fell head over heels in love with her. He also learned that Julia had entered the tournament to recover the reforestation data from the Mishima Zaibatsu.
It was shortly after that an invitation for the King of Iron Fist Tournament 5 arrived. Ganryu thought it was a perfect opportunity to recover the reforestation program by winning the tournament. Surely Julia would fall madly in love with him if he were able to recover the data.
Ending Description: Ganryu is looking at a body of water with a small bridge going over it. Text on the screen says, "Ganryu wins and is successful in retrieving the Forest Rejuvenation Data. He will now give Julia the data and confess his love." A ship is coming on screen from the right side (the side that the small bridge is on). Julia Chang runs up to him from the left side. Ganryu takes the Forest Rejuvenation Data out of his mawashi, and then he dusts it off a little bit. He gives the Forest Rejuvenation Data to Julia. Julia says, "I... I can't thank you enough. With this, I'll be able to bring back the forest." Then, Ganryu tries to confess his love to Julia. Suddenly, he pulls out an engagement ring held in a small box while yelling, "I'm in love with you!" However, Julia has unfortunately left, and she has apparently not heard him. A boat passes by on the body of water, coming from the right side. Ganryu says, "Julia?...", and then he opens his mouth in disappointment and shock.
During The King of Iron Fist Tournament 5, Ganryu lost his way and accidentally stumbled into the research laboratory of the Mishima Financial Group, and, in the laboratory, he found the disc containing data for the Reforestation Program. Believing he finally had what he needed in order for Julia to accept his proposal of marriage, he presented the disc. But it was only the disc that she accepted.
Afterwards, Ganryu returned to Hawaii and established a restaurant (specialing in Sumo cuisine) called Chanko Paradise. However, the restaurant didn't take off as he had hoped. Around that time, it was announced that The King of Iron Fist Tournament would be held once again. Seeing this as an opportunity to promote Chanko Paradise, Ganryu decided to participate in the tournament to do just that.
Ending Description: Ganryu has just defeated Azazel and takes the orb out of Azazel's body. As Ganryu gazes at it a strange wave happens and Ganryu is injected with the Devil Gene leaving him with horns, wings, long nails, and even the Devil Mark on his back. Devil Ganryu attempts to fly away but is unable to because of his weight and he reluctantly says, "But I can't fly?!".
Ganryu appeared as a playable character in Tekken Tag Tournament.
Ganryu appeared in Tekken: Blood Vengeance where he is depicted as a PE teacher at Kyoto International School and as Ling Xiaoyu's PE teacher. He is also more serious and strict unlike his depiction in the games.
Ganryu is a playable character in the sequel, Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
Ending: Ganryu was secretly peeking on Julia's room. He saw Julia's mask. He managed to enter the room secretly. However, he is aware that he shouldn't do that. Then, Ganryu continue peeking Julia's room. Julia is still having a shower. Not long after it, Lei Wulong suddenly appears and arrests him; he thinks that Ganryu is charged with voyeurism.
Character Relationships Edit
- Kazuya Mishima - His employer in Tekken 2.
- Lee Chaolan - Ganryu's boss in Tekken 2 and employer in Tekken: The Motion Picture.
- Michelle Chang - Ganryu's unrequited love interest in Tekken 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament.
- Julia Chang - His unrequited love interest since Tekken 5.
- Bruce Irvin - His ally in Tekken 2.
- Anna Williams - His ally in Tekken 2 and (appearently) Tekken Blood Vengeance.
- Ling Xiaoyu - His former student in Tekken: Blood Vengeance.
- Emilie de (Lili) Rochefort - She defeated Ganryu in Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection.
- Azazel - Took his orb in his Tekken 6 ending and transforms to "Devil Ganryu" (non-canon).
- Ganryu has a special move in Tekken 5 that only works against Julia Chang. It has no actual purpose and is purely for comic relief, because the move involves him running after her and then hugging her. Ganryu can do nothing more from this point, but Julia can slap Ganryu when he lets her go.
- Ganryu's sub-bosses are Yoshimitsu (Tekken), Michelle Chang (Tekken 2), and Julia Chang (Tekken 5 and Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection).
- Ganryu has a secret fifth win animation in Tekken 5 and Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection. It can be seen by pressing and holding "u+1+3+4" after having won a fight with Ganryu. For this win animation, Ganryu jumps up and to the right side. He puts his hands together at his chest in a prayer-like position and looks up towards the sky. As he does this, he does a kiai.
- This is mimicking Julia's "4" win animation, where she does the same thing. The only differences are the camera angles (Julia jumps to the middle and the camera focuses on her face) and their kiais. However, in Tekken 6, Ganryu's version has been changed so that it resembles Julia's version in Tekken 5 and Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection. Julia's version has been changed so that she is jumping to the left, and the camera focuses on her body from the waist and up.
- Ganryu has a secret sixth win animation in Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection. It can be seen by pressing and holding "1+2" after having won a fight with Ganryu. For this win animation, Ganryu runs forward and jumps, with his stomach facing downwards. He lands on his unconscious opponent, who is pushed away from Ganryu to either the left side or the right side. The opponent does not move afterwards, and neither does Ganryu.
- It is implied that Ganryu was the one who wrote the "mysterious letter" (mentioned in Julia's Tekken 5/Dark Resurrection epilogue) to Julia.
- Ganryu is the only person who worked for Kazuya Mishima in Tekken 2 that does not work for him in Tekken 6.
- In Tekken 5 Ganryu is unlocked by beating story mode 7 times with a different character.
- In the Scenario Campaign of Tekken 6, Ganryu is a boss at the Aranami Stable.
- Advertisements for Ganryu's restaurant, Chanko Paradise, can be found in Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
- Ganryu is one of the two Japanese characters (the other being Miharu Hirano) who is not connected to either the Mishimas, Kazamas or the Manji Clan.
- Ganryu has a customization item in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 that is actually his "Devil Ganryu" form from his Tekken 6 ending (it only has the horns and wings though).