Josie Rizal (ジョシー・リサール Joshī Risāru?) is a character in the Tekken series who is introduced in the upcoming Tekken 7 as one of the new playable characters. She was first seen as one of the four fighters (the other three being Jin Kazama, Devil Jin and the large red behemoth fighter named Gigas) whose in-game character models were leaked online in March 2015. She later became playable in the arcades' time release in April 21.
Josie has a short black hair with brown eyes and sports a red ribbon hair accessory. She wears a yellow long sleeve v-neck midriff with white flower designs on the edge of her baggy sleeves with a red bikini top underneath, light blue and red short skirt with matching designs and four straps in each side of her skirt and a red v-belt to her waist with sun buckles and brown warrior flats with sun designs in her knee and ankles. She also wears blue short shorts underneath her light blue skirt.
Josie also wears a golden dangling sun necklace, matching golden sun earrings and several golden bracelets on both of her wrists. The color scheme (red, blue, white and yellow) of her outfit matches the Philippine flag.
Her alternate color pallet from her Player 2 outfit which her top is light blue, her skirt is now red and white, her short shorts are now dark blue and her warrior flats are brown.
In the update version of Tekken 7, Josie's light blue skirt from her primary outfit changed to blue to match her short shorts and the designs of her skirt remains light blue. In her alternate color pallet her dark blue short shorts are now black while wearing her outfit.
Josie's customizations are consist of modern clothes in her age and she gains Asuka's modern clothes customization in Tekken 6. Her customization has her wearing short dresses, leather mini hoodie jackets, sleeveless midriffs, spaghetti straps, fingerless gloves, wraps, denim pants, jeggings, black shoes and high heels, boots. She can also wears a cowboy hat on her head.
Josie has been described to be bright, cheerful and quite energetic, but she has become more prone to crying because of something that happened in the past . It later reveals in her backstory that she was a big crybaby at the young age and is unable to ease it. During her training course and confrontation against Kuma, Josie was revealed to be afraid of bears and makes her flee in tears when it was encountered as well as being interrogated by it.
Josie Rizal tried her best to support her family by balancing two jobs? One as a model, and one as a professional kickboxer. One day, while she was out running on her usual training course along the mountain roads, she was suddenly confronted by an enormous, hairy creature!
Josie screamed, and then fled half in tears, but the creature remained hot on her heels. Realizing she had little chance of escape, Josie abruptly came to a halt, then turned trembling, to face her feral foe...
In the third character reveal trailer, it is revealed that Josie is afraid of bears when her Tekken Force instructor, Kuma interrogates her during her training.
Josie is playable at Tekken 7 since 2015.
Josie's Rage Art move involves her using a dragon uppercut-like move on the opponent, two kicks in mid-air and knocking him/her down to the ground with a heavy blow.
Josie fights using Eskrima-based Kickboxing (エスクリマをベースとしたキックボクシング Esukurima wo Bēsu to shita Kikkubokushingu?). Eskrima is a style of combat that emphasizes on weapon-based combat that generally involves sticks and knives. Eskrima is officially called Arnis, the formalized umbrella name of the style in the Philippines, though this name and Kali are also used. Josie uses the unarmed variant of the style that focuses more on defensive techniques, grappling and weapon disarming as opposed to the more offensive armed variant.
Unarmed Eskrima focuses much more on reacting to and countering an attack rather than offensive striking. However, vicious strikes and kicks are still used. Her take of Eskrima with boxing makes her style more similar to a real life Eskrima variant called Yaw-Yan.
- Her name is inspired by the Filipino National hero, José Rizal.
- Her given name may have also come from the Japanese word for a girl (女子 Joshi).
- Her surname Rizal is from the Spanish word "Ricial" meaning "the green of young growth" or "green fields."
- She is the first Filipino fighter in the Tekken series, predated by sister series Soul Caliber's Talim. However, unlike other characters that speaks in their native tongue, she speaks English all the time, despite the existence of Tagalog. Josie has never been heard speaking in her native tongue to date.
- Her Rage Art animation, especially the finisher, used to resemble Xiba's Critical Edge move from Soulcalibur V.
- The white flower designs on Josie's midriff is based on the "Sampaguita", the national flower of the Philippines.
- According to Mari Shimazaki's concept artwork, it is called "Sumpa Kita" design which means "I promise you" and is the origin of the name of the flower.
- Some of Josie's moves  take their names from places in the Philippines such as Lingayen Stomp (リンガエンストンプ Ringaen Sutonpu), Switch Iligan (スイッチイリガン Suicchi Irigan), Switch Ormoc (スイッチオルモック Suicchi Orumokku), Subic Ring, Panquil Ring, and Kawasan Falls.
- While two moves are references to Philippine National symbols: Carabao Horn (カラバオホーン Karabao Hōn) and Reverse Sampaguita (リバース・サンパギータ Ribāsu Sanpagīta).
- In Josie's unveiling event, she was cosplayed by Yuriko Tiger.
- ^ http://www.tekken-official.jp/tk7ac/character/josie.php
- ^ https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/582174887525011458
- ^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6hUDW0x4tw
- ^ http://www.sunlightyellow.com/tekken7/character/josie.html