Julia Chang (ジュリア・チャン Juria Chan?) is a video game character in the Tekken series. She is the adopted daughter of Michelle Chang, who taught her how to fight, which is why they share the same fighting style. Julia first appeared in Tekken 3, and since then has appeared in all subsequent games up to Tekken 6, as well as appearing as her alter-ego, a Luchadora named Jaycee (ジェイシー Jeishī?), in Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Julia has replaced Michelle in the Tekken series, with her character taking the latter's moveset. Julia hopes to one day reforest Arizona, which is where both Michelle and Julia live.
Julia's life got off to an inauspicious start; born to unknown parentage, she was abandoned as a baby in the ruins of a Native American settlement. Her fortunes changed, however, when she was found by Michelle Chang, a young woman from a native tribe who adopted her and raised her as her own. Julia grew up with a strong love for her adoptive mother and tribe, and was taught to fight so that she could protect her homeland. Julia also developed a fascination for her tribes heritage, and began studying archeology to learn more about her forefathers.
As Julia neared her eighteenth birthday, stories started to reach the tribe of martial artists disappearing around the globe. Fearing that tribal tales of the God of Fighting were coming true and that her pendant was somehow connected, Michelle headed to Japan to find Heihachi Mishima and ask him what he knew about the pendant and why he had sought it previously. When she did not return, Julia suspected foul play from Heihachi and entered the third King of Iron Fist Tournament to rescue her mother. As the tournament reached its finale, Julia successfully rescued Michelle and learned that Heihachi had used Michelle's pendant to fully awaken Ogre, the God of Fighting in an ancient Aztec temple. Julia initially wanted revenge against Heihachi, but Michelle persuaded her to return home peacefully.
After the events of the third tournament, Julia's priorities changed; upon learning that the encroaching desert would soon consume her homeland, she began researching ways to restore the global ecosystem. This led her to join a team of researchers led by Professor T at the G Corporation headquarters, where the project, named GENOCELL, progressed well. Unfortunately for Julia, the laboratories were attacked by the Mishima Zaibatsu and her research was stolen, prompting her to enter the fourth King of Iron Fist tournament in an attempt to retrieve the data. While she was unsuccessful, she did catch the attention of Ganryu, a Sumo wrestler who fell in love with her due to her resemblance to her mother Michelle, whom Ganryu had fallen in love with twenty years previously, during the second King of Iron Fist tournament. This led him to join Julia in the fifth King of Iron Fist tournament, in the hopes of recovering the data and winning her heart. While Ganryu succeeds in finding the data, Julia remained dismissive of his affection.
With the forest rejuvenation data back in her possession, Julia returns home to realize her dreams of reforesting her homeland. Her plans take a back seat, however, when she learns of a greater threat to humanity - if Kazuya Mishima, Heihachi's son and Jin Kazama, who both carry the Devil Gene, are allowed to clash, a great evil will be resurrected and unleashed upon the world. Sensing the danger to mankind, Julia enters the sixth King of Iron Fist tournament to help prevent the meeting that threatens the world.
Julia is a very kind woman with a strong love for her adoptive mother Michelle, as well as her tribe and homeland. In turn, Julia is very brave in the face of danger, and will stand her ground and fight for the side of good in order to protect the people and things she cares about. Julia is also intelligent, as her passion for her homeland led her to study archeology, and her time spent researching forest rejuvenation taught her a great deal about natural sciences and information technology. Julia's commitment to good causes tend to take precedence over her own personal life, to such a degree that she seems oblivious to the affection shown to her by others, most noticeably Ganryu, whose love has long gone unreciprocated.
Julia is an attractive Native American woman with brown eyes and long brown hair, braided down the back and typically fastened with colorful hairbands while styled into bangs to each side of her face. Being of Native American descent, much of the jewellery and accessories worn by Julia are of traditional Native American design or contain patterning in keeping with her heritage, and she can often be seen wearing a headdress with feathers tucked into the side.
Julia's most recognizable outfit, which serves as her primary outfit in all but Tekken 4, is her Native American attire. Similar to Michelle's primary outfit in earlier games in the series, Julia wears a denim miniskirt, a vest exposing her midriff and colorful boots bearing ornate designs. While colors and styles may vary, these core components remain. Her primary outfit in Tekken 4 saw her wearing green shorts, matching boots and a black vest.
Julia's secondary outfits have varied throughout the series, but one constant is that she wears jeans and boots of varying colors and designs. On her upper body, Julia has worn differing vests, jackets and short sleeved shirts of various colors and designs, some of which bore more intricate patterning in later releases in the series.
Julia studies archeology in Michelle Chang's tribal lands. As a baby, Julia was deserted in the ruins of ancient Native American settlements, where Michelle found her. Michelle rescued Julia and brought her up with love. Julia loved Michelle and her adopted tribe and trained with Michelle to protect her beloved homeland.
When Julia was 18, stories of sudden disappearances of famous martial artists all over the world began to reach the tribe.
With apprehension spreading through the tribe, Michelle left for Japan to ask Heihachi Mishima why he had sought to take the pendant during the second tournament. Michelle hoped to learn about the origin of Ogre's power but she never returned. Julia suspected Heihachi and now seeks him out to discover the truth.
Having defeated Ogre, Julia calls out for Michelle, who stumbles into view from an upper area before falling to the ground. Julia rushes to her mothers aid, after which Michelle explains that the key to controlling Ogre is her pendant, and that awakening him was Heihachi's evil plan. Julia swears revenge on Heihachi, but Michelle reminds her that hatred is not the answer, and that she taught Julia to fight "to protect mother earth, not to destroy it". After this, Michelle and Julia return home to Arizona. Strangely, Julia's ending in Tekken 3 is the only one to include voice acting.
Julia was a college student studying archeology. One day, she discovered that her native homeland was in danger of being covered by an encroaching desert; this was brought on by today's rapidly changing global ecosystem. Julia wanted to save her home, and she began her research on ecosystem restoration.
Julia joined an advanced genetic research group led by Professor T that studied the biological mechanism of reforestation. Professor T's research grant came almost exclusively from G Corporation. In fact, G Corporation's supercomputers, located at their high security research center, were being used for the research, and all of the research data was stored on their file servers.
Julia was absorbed in her daily research, waiting for the day when her research on ecosystem restoration would be complete. When the research was completed, she would save her home.
Shortly after, Julia learned from Professor T that their research had been put on hold indefinitely. It was then that the Mishima Zaibatsu attacked G Corporation's high security research center and stole all research data from her project. Julia didn't know a thing about G Corporation's secret research projects nor did she care about them. Yet she knew that she had to retrieve her research data from the Mishima Zaibatsu in order to save her home from becoming a desert in a few years time.
Julia searched the net to gather information regarding the Mishima Zaibatsu. Her eyes lit up when she saw a web page announcing The King of Iron Fist Tournament 4.
Julia wins the tournament and takes over the Mishima Zaibatsu, gaining access to her stolen data, as well as all of of G Corporations research and the Mishima Zaibatsu's cutting edge technology, increasing her hopes of reforesting her homeland. As Julia works through the computers data, she discovers Dr. Abel's project to use GENOCELL to fuse human and devil genes, just as Dr. Abel enters and explains his work. Horrified that her research will be used for such purposes, Julia deletes the files, despite the fact that this will end her dreams of reforestation. This angers Dr. Abel, and he opens fire with a handgun, but Julia is able to dodge the gunfire and flee the lab. Julia returns to Arizona and, despite this latest setback, swears that one day she will reforest the land.
Julia Chang continues her research on forest rejuvenation. Disappointed that she was unable to recover the reforestation data during the King Of Iron Fist Tournament 4, Julia returns home and resumes her research. Each time her work hits a dead end, she is reminded of the data that she was unable to retrieve.
At that point she received a letter addressed to her in a foreign language. Attached is an announcement of The King Of Iron Fist Tournament 5.
In order to fulfill her hopes of forest rejuvenation, Julia decides to enter the tournament.
After successfully retrieving her forest rejuvenation data, Julia built a lab in Arizona so that she could devote herself to her research. The Arizona desert, however, was not a good climate for her research, and her experiments were a failure. One day, having fallen asleep at her desk, Julia dreams of walking through a lush green forest. Upon awakening, Julia gets up and walks to her lab where she notices that, in one of the glass incubation jars, one of the seedlings has started to grow. Overcome with happiness, Julia clutches the jar and drops to her knees, envisioning herself in the forest from her dream.
After recovering her stolen data, Julia completed her reforestation research. She was headed back to Arizona to meet with a party who had agreed to assist in the realization of her reforestation plans.
Waiting for her there was a prominent Arizona land owner, an old woman who claimed to have the ability to hear the voice of spirits. With the help of the old woman, the reforestation plans were on track to be realized. However, when Julia got up to leave, the old woman made an ominous prediction. "Jin Kazama and Kazuya Mishima must not be allowed to clash. If they confront each other, a source of great evil will be resurrected and unleashed on the Earth".
Julia was skeptical of the old lady's prediction. However, after hearing news that the Mishima Zaibatsu has sponsored The King of Iron Fist Tournament 6 on the flight home, the danger seemed much more imminent. Julia decided that she would enter the tournament.
The scene begins with an eagle soaring up to a rock upon which Julia is climbing. Suddenly, a piece of a rock Julia is holding onto breaks, causing her to fall. Fortunately, she grabs ahold of a lower piece while falling. With a leap of confidence, she jumps back up the rock. As she reaches the top, she exclaims, "Wow, it's beautiful... Absolutely breath-taking." as she looks at the peaceful scenery.
Julia appeared as a playable character in Tekken Tag Tournament. She retains her moveset from Tekken 3.
Julia and her mother Michelle are both sitting down, staring at a sunset. Michelle briefly converses with Julia before Julia stands up to stretch while smiling. This ending takes place in one of Eddy Gordo's stages.
Julia appeared as a playable character in the crossover game, Street Fighter X Tekken. Her tag partner is Bob.
Julia appears in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, disguised as a luchadora named Jaycee.
As Julia was taught to fight by her adoptive mother, her fighting style is almost identical to Michelle's. Julia's moveset is made up of ranged kicks and fast strikes, many of which can be linked into other attacks, allowing multiple variations of similar moves. While Julia is weaker than the average character, this unpredictability combined with her speed can make her an effective character in the hands of a skilled player.
Julia has a wide range of attacks that cover all height ranges, and as many of her attacks are fast and able to be chained into other attacks, it is possible to deal large amounts of damage through juggles and combos. Julia's range of attacks also make her a good character to force errors from opponents, and her versatile moveset can be beneficial in breaking the guard of more defensive opponents.
While it takes time to learn her more complex attack patterns, it is worth persevering as her agility and fast attacks allow her to evade opponents attacks while keeping them at bay and wearing them down with ranged strikes, making her a good character for players with a more technical playing style.
- Michelle Chang - Her adoptive mother.
- Mr. Chang - Her adoptive grandfather.
- Mrs. Chang - Her adoptive grandmother.
- Jaycee - Her Luchadora alter-ego in Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
- Ganryu - He has been in love with Julia since Tekken 5.
- Ogre - Her tribe told legends about him.
- Doctor Abel - He almost succeeded in using Julia's re-forestation project, GENOCELL, to merge devil cells with human cells.
- King II - Seems to be a friend of his since she showed concern about him going after Marduk in Tekken 5.
- Azazel - She tried to stop him in Tekken 6.
- Lee Chaolan - Her friend and acquaintance in Tekken 6.
- Heihachi Mishima - Her enemy since Tekken 3, ever since he kidnapped Michelle.
- Kazuya Mishima - Her current boss. Despite this, she attempts to stop him in Tekken 6, sensing his evil agenda.
- Jin Kazama - Knowing there is still good in him, she tries to stop his destructive ways and wants to help him find another way to break the Devil's curse.
- Bob - Her hired bounty hunter, friend and tag partner in Street Fighter X Tekken (non-canon).
- Julia has been referred to as Native American, but being adopted her ethnicity is unconfirmed.
- Julia shares physical similarities with not only her adoptive mother, Michelle, but also with Seong Mina from Namco's Soul series of 3D weapon-based fighting games.
- Julia is oblivious to the fact that Ganryu is in love with her, possibly due to Julia being more dedicated to restoring the environment than she is with her personal life.
- Unlike almost every other female character, Julia punches her opponent while she is mounted on them after a tackle; the female characters usually slap their opponent.
- Julia is the only female character who has a second back throw.
- Julia is the second character to appear as an adopted child, after Lee Chaolan.
- Unlike the majority of female characters, she does not pose during a Ki charge, and she cannot backflip with u/b,b/
- Julia is very similar to real-life female pro-wrestler Mickie James. Both are of Native-American descent, and both have once disguised themselves as Luchadors.
- Julia is the second character after Lee Chaolan to have an alter-ego.
- To unlock Julia, the game must be beaten twice.
- Julia's ending is the only ending to have actual dialogue in it.
- Julia's bosses in the Tekken Force minigame are (in order of appearance) King, Eddy Gordo, Jin Kazama, and Heihachi Mishima.
- Julia's sub-boss is Ogre.
- Julia is playable after beating the game six times.
- She appears in Ganryu's ending, wearing her Player 2 outfit.
- Her primary outfit in Tekken 5 is an updated version of her primary outfit from Tekken 3.
- Julia's Stage 1 and Stage 2 opponents in Scenario Campaign's "Arena" mode are Ganryu and Bruce Irvin.
- Julia and Zafina shared the same goal of stopping Jin and Kazuya from colliding.
- Unlike the majority of Tekken 6 characters, Julia is not a boss in the Scenario Campaign mode. Instead, Lars Alexandersson (or another character of the player's choosing) and Alisa Bosconovitch must fight off the G Corporation forces holding her hostage.
- This makes Julia is one of four characters that is not a boss in the single player Scenario Campaign mode. The other three are Lars Alexandersson, Lei Wulong and Zafina.
- The outfit she wears in her Tekken 6 ending is one of the outfits she wears in Tekken 4 with the exception of her footwear; she wears boots in Tekken 4 and sneakers in the ending.
- Julia can be customized with one of Anna Williams' outfits (as seen in Nina's Tekken ending) as well as her Tekken 4 P1 outfit, her mother's outfits from Tekken and Tekken 2 and one of Tifa Lockhart's outfits from the Final Fantasy series. Julia can also be customized to look like Nabiki and Ranma from Ranma ½ and Dixie from Rumble Roses among others.
- Julia's rivals in Tekken Card Challenge are Heihachi Mishima, Eddy Gordo, and King II.
- In Death by Degrees, in the locker room on the Kometa ship, there is a poster of Julia Chang.
- In Street Fighter X Tekken, Elena's Swap Costume is Julia's outfit.
- In Tekken: Blood Vengeance, Julia's dossier is briefly seen when Anna Williams opens a file containing dossiers of various persons of interest.