Kazumi Mishima (三島 一美 Mishima Kazumi?) is a character in the Tekken series of 3D fighting games. She is the mother of Kazuya Mishima, the paternal grandmother of Jin Kazama, and the wife of Heihachi Mishima. Kazumi is introduced in the upcoming Tekken 7 as one of the new characters as well as the main villain of the game. She was originally one of the unplayable bosses along with her grandson, Jin prior to the release of the Arcade version.
The existence of the character before Tekken 7 was alluded to twice; the first time was in Heihachi's Tekken 2 stage, in which their names ("Heihachi and Kazumi") are written on the floorboard of the temple in the style of Aiaigasa, a romantic expression to show love between couples (the floor carving mark itself was later seen again in the very first trailer of Tekken 7). The second and last time was in the non-canon OVA film Tekken: The Motion Picture, where she was just referred to as "Kazumi" at the time. Her name was also briefly mentioned in Tekken 2's musical score.
In Kazumi's promotional art, her appearance resembles that of a white Japanese empress. She has a long black hair with a full fringe and is tied in a large Japanese bun and brown eyes. She also has a mole on her bottom right eye.
She wears a white short sleeved traditional kimono dress with a red rope tied in each side of her shoulders and a red ribbon attached on the back on her shirt which is connected to the red rope and a gray diamond designed obi which is tucked into her kimono dress. She has an off-white traditional kimono dress which is tied in a white karate belt on her waist and both sleeves of the kimono dress are hanging loose with flower designs in her sleeves and her skirt of her dress. She also wears a white and red fingerless gauntlets with a golden shell design tied in red ribbons in each side underneath her arm and wrists. The interior of her off-white kimono dress is red. She also wears white tabi which is tied in red ribbons and traditional Japanese geta. She also has a Mishima Zaibatsu insignia at the center of her waist while wearing the outfit.
At the back of her hair which is just above the nape, she wears a kanzashi shaped like a gold phoenix. During her transformation to Devil Kazumi, her kanzashi can be seen and heard falling off after she was struck with a lightning strike while she was down on her knees and being engulfed with a white haze. It's possible that her kanzashi acts as a limiter device to restrain her Devil Gene.
Kazumi is described in her introduction gameplay as being serious and very determined woman who is ready to fight her opponents along with her pet tiger but she is also mysterious, cunning and seductive as seen in her pre-quotes when she calls her ex-husband, Heihachi. Especially when she summons her pet tiger to attack her opponents. Another of her pre-quotes is shown that she was very sad and disappointed implying that she becomes very upset towards her ex-husband for his actions. In one of her win animations however, she becomes calm and a worrywart and sense other presence known to her probably her own son, Kazuya who thinks she was dead and she can't accept her fate because of her Devil Gene. Although when she faces her son in a fight, she convinces him to use his powers which is enough to wake up the city despite the latter wanting to gain more power as his own. Another one of her pre-quotes is shown that she formally bows to her opponent and kindly wants to accept her kindest regard. But in one of her win animations where she calmly wonders while walking away to her defeated opponent and becomes impressed to her opponent's moves.
An interesting note is that, Kazumi also shares her ex-husband Heihachi's likeness to train their pets to fight their opponents which both had an affinity to animals. In Kazumi's case, she trains her pet tiger which she can summon as she pleases as part of her combo moves unlike the latter who trains Kuma but not being summoned.
In one of her win animations, she is shown to pet her tiger happily after defeating her opponent. Same goes to her devil form, Devil Kazumi who happily pets her white tiger.
In Tekken 7: Fated Retribution during Akuma's reveal trailer, Kazumi is shown to have an antagonistic side towards her own ex-husband and her own son while she was talking to Akuma which she tells him to kill both of them for their absolute power as Akuma made a promise to "repay her debt" when she was killed.
Wife of Heihachi Mishima and practitioner of Hachijou style Karate. Having been childhood friends with Heihachi Mishima, they later fell in love. After they were married, they had a baby and named him Kazuya and from there, thought they could live in peace as a family for a long time after.
Years later, Heihachi founded and formed the large-scale conglomerate Mishima Zaibatsu with intentions of conquering the world. Kazumi's feelings for Heihachi from that of love turned that to one of grave danger.
With Heihachi waging war with most of the world, Kazumi set out to stop him with the victims of the Mishima Zaibatsu in mind.
- Heihachi Mishima - Her ex-husband.
- Jinpachi Mishima - Her deceased ex-father-in-law.
- Kazuya Mishima - Her son.
- Jin Kazama - Her grandson.
- Jun Kazama - Her son impregnated Jun through mysterious means.
- Mr. Kazama - Her son-in-law.
- Asuka Kazama - Her in-law relative.
- Lee Chaolan - Her adoptive son.
- Lars Alexandersson - Her stepson. Her ex-husband had an illegitimate child with an unnamed white Swedish woman after her (Kazumi's) death.
- Devil Kazumi - Her devil form.
- Akuma - Indebted to her by unknown circumstances. Promised Kazumi to kill Heihachi and Kazuya for the two men's quest for absolute power.
- Azazel - It is unknown if Kazumi's Devil Gene was passed onto Azazel or the other way around (with Kazumi hosting Azazel's Devil Gene).
Kazumi has a combination between both Heihachi and Kazuya's moves as she gains both their Demon Slayer and Flash Punch Combo. Her own moves include vicious punches and strikes, and another skill where she flurries her opponent with several punches as well as knocking her opponent with both a roundhouse kick and a straight kick. Her unique ability is to summon her pet tiger which can be done during a combo or individually, it is also seen after Kazumi performs an uppercut along with her tiger. She shares her ex-husband's unblockable move but it's not as strong as his. She also has a taunt where she calmly pets her tiger during the fight.
Kazumi's (and Devil Kazumi's) Rage Art move involves stunning her opponent with a single punch to the gut, knocking him/her with an uppercut, unleashing a single punch and a kick with two consecutive punches followed with another kick in mid-air and finally slamming the opponent with a heavy blow on his/her chest before landing on the ground.
Her fighting style is Hachijou-Style Karate but mixes with Mishima-style Fighting Karate.
Intro and Win Quotes
|Intro Quotes||Win Quotes|
|I will show you fear. (恐怖を教えて差し上げます kyoufu wo oshiete sashiagemasu)||I suppose I have no choice. (仕方ありませんね shikata arimasen ne)|
|Are you sure you're ready? (覚悟よろしいですか? Kakugo yoroshii desu ka?)||Such a good kitty. (いい子ね iiko ne)|
|Heihachi! (平八さん! Heihachi-san!)||I can't accept this fate. (愛いらない運命なんです Ai iranai unmei nandesu")|
|I suppose I have no choice. (仕方ありませんね shikata arimasen ne)||Your technique is impressive. (予期部お持ちですね yokibu omochi desu ne)|
|Please do be serious, or death awaits you. (本気出来でくださいさぬ後死にますよ honki dekide kudasai sanu ato shinimasuyo)|
|You also have enough power to wake up the city, Kazuya. (カズヤ力目覚市またですね Kazuya chikara mezameshi mata desu ne)|
|Pleased to meet you -- please accept my kindest regards. (よろしゅうお他のもうします yoroshuu otano moushimasu)|
|Impossible... Could you be?! (まさか…! あなたわ！ masaka... anata wa?!)|
Note: Kazumi's "I suppose I have no choice." appears as both an intro and win quote.
- Kazumi's name is written as 三島 一美 (Mishima Kazumi) in Kanji and みしま かずみ in Hiragana.
- Her name translates to (一 kazu) one; (美 mi) beauty. The surname of all members of the Mishima family 三島 (Mishima) mean "third island".
- Kazumi's maiden name is Hachijou prior to her marriage with Heihachi.
- Hachijou (八条) translates to (八 hachi) eight; (条 jō) article.
- In Tekken: The Motion Picture, it is stated that Kazumi died giving birth to Kazuya. However, she is still seen carrying him in the picture with her and Kazuya (as a baby).
- Kazumi Mishima is the first and only known confirmed female who carries the Devil Gene (while Unknown, the female final boss of the non-canonical Tekken Tag Tournament and its sequel, has the "devil gene" mark on her upper right arm, it's currently unconfirmed if she is actually a Devil Gene user).
- Kazumi carrying the Devil Gene was first confirmed in the San Diego Comic Con 2014 trailer of Tekken 7.
- According to Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada, Kazuya was not the first Mishima family member to make contact with the devil, and that Kazuya and Jin both believe it started with Jinpachi but only Heihachi really knows who it was. Harada also pointed out that neither Jinpachi, Heihachi nor Lars possess the Devil Gene. This hints towards Kazumi being the first to have started the Devil Gene bloodline.
- Kazumi bears a slight resemblance to Eliza, because of her pale skin and part of her hairstyle (mostly the front and sides).
- In Tekken: Kazuya's Revenge, Heihachi reveals that the amnesia Kazuya suffered and him being sold to the Minister was all part of his plan to rid Kazuya of his mother's "soft heart and weakness". Though this is noncanonical and shouldn't be considered in the actual game storyline.
- Kazumi is the final boss of the game. The first round is against her in human form and the second round is against her devil form.
- Her final boss transformation is very similar to the nature that of which Jun Kazama is fought during the first round before transforming into Unknown in the second round in Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
- In her boss intro pose, she is riding her pet tiger before facing her opponent.
- The way she sits on her pet tiger is similar to Jun when she sits on a horse from her ending in Tekken 2.
- Kazumi's pet tiger seems to be able to change between her human form and her devil form. In her former form, it is a normal tiger while in her latter form, it is a white tiger.
- In the final stage background of the game, Kazumi's eyes from her CG art changes from brown to red before facing the player at the final stage.
- In Kazumi's introduction gameplay, she is the only character who can speak when she summons her pet tiger as part of her moves during a combo. In one of her pre-quotes she was calling her ex-husband, Heihachi. The other one being her devil form as the final boss of the game.
- Her alternate color pallete is black and the flower designs are now gold.
- Kazumi has a total of eight pre-intro quotes and four win quotes in the game including her intro pose as the final boss of the game.
- In one of Kazumi's moves, she uppercuts her opponent along with her pet tiger. As Harada jokingly says that her uppercut is just like Street Fighter's Sagat who uses the Tiger Uppercut.
- One of Kazumi's intro quotes is a more polite version of Devil Jin's intro quote (i.e. Kazumi has "Kyoufu wo oshiete sashiagemasu." while Devil Jin has the more violent "Kyoufu wo oshiete yarou.")
- In Kazumi's final stage intro, her CG art has replaced by her devil form, Devil Kazumi's CG art as her alternate final stage intro.
- ^ www.tekken-official.jp/news/?p=1350