Kunimitsu (州光?) is a character in the Tekken fighting game series. She made her first appearance in the original Tekken game as an unlockable character and sub-boss for Michelle Chang. It is unknown what happens to Kunimitsu after her last canonical appearance in Tekken 2.
Prologue Text: Kunimitsu was a member of the Manji crime syndicate. But when she stole for her own self-interest, she was expelled by the leader, Yoshimitsu. Even after that, she continued to steal without reforming. Her reason for entering the tournament is to plunder the treasure that Heihachi Mishima stole from the Native Americans.
Prologue Text: The sword of good fortune and light is the sword which generation after generation is succeeded in the Manji party. It is assumed the air of the partner is shut off, when (there is a rule that the leader of the next generation cuts the leader of previous generation with this sword). Kunimitsu participates in the tournament in order to take the sword.
Manual Description: Kunimitsu is known as the Devil Cat. She was a former member of the Manji Clan, ninja bandits led by Yoshimitsu. She lost her Japanese identity when she joined the group to maintain her anonymity. Upon joining, she was taught the skills of the stealth knife at the Manji Clan schools of "Jujutau". She stayed with the group for a few months until a series of petty thefts from the band's funds led to her dismissal. At a loose end, she decided to train as a mechanic mending air conditioners.
She entered the first Iron Fist Tournament with the intent on stealing a Native American treasure from a young brave Michelle Chang. Kunimitsu was easily defeated. Feeling humiliated, she sought solace with her grandfather. He was a swordsmith with a reputation. He informed Kunimitsu that the sword used by Yoshimitsu (also called Yoshimitsu) was a relic of unimaginable value. She learned that it was handed down through the Manji Clan, and it had the power to sever an enemy both spiritually and mentally. The sword exchanges hands when a new leader is elected. The old leader is ritually sacrificed, and the sword's power is transferred to its new owner. Her grandfather has spent his entire existence trying to forge a copy of the sword. Kunimitsu enters The King of Iron Fist Tournament 2 to face and defeat Yoshimitsu, thus claiming his sword so that her grandfather could make a copy before his death.
Ending Description, "The Sword": Kunimitsu is in a forest holding Yoshimitsu's sword. Kunimitsu looks at her face's reflection on the sword. She decides to test the sword by slicing the stone in two with it. Kunimitsu successfully does this and is shown as the sliced stone falls to the ground.
Kunimitsu appeared as a playable character in Tekken Tag Tournament.
Ending Description: Kunimitsu and Yoshimitsu are about to fight in an area covered in snow and the area is snowing. They approach each other with their weapons. A few seconds after they attack each other, Yoshimitsu falls to the ground. Kunimitsu moves her dagger around a little bit, and then she disappears. This ending takes place in Yoshimitsu's second Tekken Tag Tournament stage, which is called "Yoshimitsu-B".
Kunimitsu returned in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, playable for the first time in over a decade since the original Tag Tournament. She is a downloadable character in the console versions of the game. In the console version's intro, she is seen teaming with Raven in order to fight Nina and Anna.
Ending Description: Yoshimitsu is riding on a horse through a forest, unaware that Kunimitsu is silently following him. Kunimitsu then shoots darts at the horse. Yoshimitsu then quickly jumps off his horse and the two engage in a battle. Yoshimitsu manages to get Kunimitsu on the ground and points his sword at her. After deciding to spare her, he proceeds to sheathe his sword. After doing this, he realizes that Kunimitsu has stolen his sword and replaced it with a stick. She then runs away with it. Yoshimitsu remarks, "You've greatly improved."
- Yoshimitsu - He expelled Kunimitsu from the Manji Clan after she was found robbing from the clan's funds. Later, she now targets his sword for the sake of her grandfather to make a duplicate before dying.
- Michelle Chang - She pursued the pendant that Michelle possessed in Tekken 2.
- Raven - Her partner as seen in the Tekken Tag Tournament 2 opening.
Kunimitsu is considered to be the fastest and most agile playable character in the whole series. She has the highest frames per second attacks. Though lacking strength and range, she can perform acrobatics and gymnastics to dodge, confuse, and get away from her opponents (jumping to evade them).
Kunimitsu fights using ninjutsu.
- Kunimitsu's English profile in Tekken mistakenly states that she is male. The fact she used Yoshimitsu's voice effects unaltered, in addition to the masculine-shaped build she had at the time made the mistake very convincing. This was changed from Tekken 2 onwards, where she was given both feminine voice effects and a female build.
- Kunimitsu's name is written as 州光 (Kunimitsu) in Kanji and くにみつ in Hiragana.
- Her name translates to (州 kuni) state; (光 mitsu) shine.
- Kunimitsu, along with Lili, who is the same height, is the tallest (human) female fighter in the series, at 173cm (5'8") tall.
- Part of Kunimitsu's face can be seen for the first time in Tekken Tag Tournament, as the lower portion of Kunimitsu's face is not covered by the mask she wears when using her third costume.
- According to an art book that came with a special edition of Tekken 6, it is unknown whether there is a beautiful woman or a monster underneath the mask.
- A similar mask appears as an applicable item in Soul Calibur IV.
- Kunimitsu's mask is called the Kitsune mask. Though, in Soul Calibur III and IV, it is called Fox Mask.
- In Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, Yoshimitsu can be customized with her mask, knife and clothes.
- All of her endings take place in a forest.
- Kunimitsu's appearance in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is the first time she has appeared in a Tekken game since Tekken Tag Tournament, which was over 11 years earlier.
- She is one of only two Tekken characters (the other being True Ogre) to have a flame attack.
- Kunimitsu's entire face was accidentally revealed by a customization glitch in 2012, which has since been corrected. However, pictures of her without her mask are still on the internet.
- It was shown that Kunimitsu has a large scar on her face, and may potentially be blind, as a picture of her face shows her eyes to be closed.
- Michelle Chang is her sub-boss.
- She is also Michelle Chang's sub-boss.
- She has the same fighting stance as Yoshimitsu and Paul Phoenix.
- She has the same voice actor as Yoshimitsu.
- Despite having daggers in her hands, she does not attack with them.
- Yoshimitsu is her sub-boss.
- She is also Yoshimitsu's sub-boss.
- She has the same fighting stance as Yoshimitsu and Paul Phoenix.
- Her stage is Cambodian Wetlands and has the same background music as the Angkor Wat stage in Tekken.
- She can be unlocked by beating the game once.
- Kunimitsu returns with a redesigned Kitsune mask that leaves her mouth uncovered, like her third costume mask from Tekken Tag Tournament. This new mask reveals her having two scars on her face, possibly meaning she's disfigured under the mask.
- In a special win pose with Raven, Kunimitsu and Raven will both flip sideways, land vertically across from each other, put their hands together in front of their chest and slightly nod at one another (probably to solemnly show gratitude towards each other for achieving the victory).
- In another, they will make ninja hand symbols simultaneously. Raven will also do the same with Yoshimitsu.
- She has a special victory pose with Yoshimitsu, where he raises his sword and disappears as soon as she tries to slash him. She then aimlessly looks around for him.
- Kunimitsu is seen in the intro to Tekken: The Motion Picture, along with the other fighters that don't play a role in the movie.
- Kunimitsu made a cameo appearance in Street Fighter X Tekken, she is seen in a stage background talking to Street Fighter character Sarai, who is Ibuki's classmate. Ibuki's Swap Costume is also based on Kunimitsu.