Michelle in Tekken Tag Tournament 2
|Full Name||Michelle Chang|
|Also Known as||Wandering Female Fighter|
|Fighting Style||Xin Yi Liu He Quan and Baji Quan based Chinese martial arts.|
|Height||163cm (5′ 4″)|
|Weight||53kg (117 lbs)|
|Likes||Her parents |
her adoptive daughter
|Occupation||Unemployed (Drifting around)|
|Family||Mr. Chang (Father)|
Mrs. Chang (Mother)
Julia Chang (Adoptive daughter)
Tekken Tag Tournament
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Narumi Hidaka (Tekken: The Motion Picture)
Lynn Harris (Tekken, Tekken 2, Tekken Tag Tournament)
Mibu Minami (Tekken 3)
Jessica Robertson (Tekken: The Motion Picture)
Julie Ann Taylor (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)
Michelle Chang (ミシェール・チャン Mishēru Chan?) is a fictional character in the Tekken series of fighting games. A Native American woman of Chinese descent, she was first introduced in the original Tekken, and returned for Tekken 2, the non-canonical Tekken Tag Tournament and its sequel Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Michelle's adopted daughter Julia Chang, takes her place in Tekken 3 and all the subsequent games afterwards, although both of them are present in Tekken Tag Tournament and its sequel.
Determined and strong minded, Michelle Chang houses a deep love for her family and a vengeful nature towards those who threaten them. She pursues her goals with dedication. She also possesses a love for her environment and is a true lover of nature. This is something which is assumed to be passed on to her daughter, Julia, as she taught her to fight to "..protect mother earth, not to destroy it".
Prologue Text (version 1): This wandering fighter is the daughter of a Native American woman and a Hong Kong man sent by Heihachi Mishima to find an ancient treasure on Native American land. Eventually, on her 18th birthday, she hears from her mother that her father had been killed by Heihachi men. She is taking part in the tournament to take revenge on "Mishima."
Prologue Text (version 2): Michelle was born of a Native American woman and a Hong Kong man. Her father was sent by Heihachi Mishima to find an ancient treasure on Native American lands.
On her 18th birthday, Michelle heard from her mother that her father had been killed by Heihachi's men. She entered the Tekken to take revenge on "Mishima."
Ending Description: Michelle has just returned from the Tournament and is walking home through the Arizona desert. She stops and drops her bag, seeing her mother sitting outside rocking in a chair peacefully reading a book. Overjoyed, Michelle runs to her mother with the screen ending with the words 'fin' in the lower right corner.
Prologue (Manual): Kazuya wants the pendant that Michelle wears around her neck, since it carries the secret to a great treasure. Michelle's mother has now been kidnapped by Kazuya's men to ensure Michelle's participation in the tournament. Michelle vows to rescue her mother at all costs.
Ending Description: Michelle approaches a lake in a forest with her pendant in her hand while a bird flies by. After a couple minutes of enjoying the nature while making her choice, Michelle tosses the pendant into the water.
Sometime before the events of Tekken 3, Michelle adopted Julia Chang while Julia was a baby. Michelle was also kidnapped by Heihachi Mishima for her pendant, which is why Julia entered the tournament. Heihachi planned to use her pendant to awaken Ogre in the Aztec Temple, which he was successful in doing. Even after Tekken 3, Michelle's whereabouts are still unknown. Michelle Chang is not a playable character in Tekken 3, but she does appear in Julia Chang's ending meaning, at least in Tekken 3, she's alive.
In the Motion Picture, Michelle is young and filled with rage because her entire family was murdered by Heihachi Mishima. She is determined to get her revenge, no matter what the odds. This fierce passion is her greatest strength and her only weakness. She fought and overcame Ganryu during the Tournament, but was easily defeated by Kazuya Mishima. Just when Kazuya was about to end her life, Jun Kazama stepped in and saved her life. Later on as the Island is blowing up, she is seen being carried by Paul Phoenix.
Michelle appeared in Tekken Tag Tournament as a playable character. She has her moveset from Tekken 2 plus many more added to her arsenal. She has many moves added like other characters from Tekken due to her absence in Tekken 3.
Ending Description: Michelle is shown sitting on the ground. Julia Chang walks up to her and sits down next to her. Then Julia and Michelle start having an unheard conversation. This ending takes place in Eddy Gordo's second Tekken Tag Tournament stage.
Michelle finally returned in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, as a downloadable character for the console version of the game.
Ending Description: Michelle is walking around the house while Julia is in the shower. Michelle comes across Julia's wrestling mask and seems to be interested in it. She tries it on. She smiles and says "Just a peek won't hurt." and poses in the mirror before trying a few moves. Julia then catches her mom posing. Embarrassed, Michelle tries to take the mask off but Julia says she looks great in it and gains an idea. The screen changes, showing both Julia (as Jaycee) and Michelle (as a luchadora) beating King and Marduk.
Character Relationships Edit
- Heihachi Mishima - Michelle's father was killed by his men some time before the first tournament.
- Kazuya Mishima - Michelle's mother was kidnapped by his men some time before the second tournament, she was also defeated by him in Tekken: The Motion Picture (non-canon).
- Kunimitsu - She, along with Kazuya and Heihachi, all seeked the pendant that Michelle possessed in Tekken 2.
- Julia Chang - Her adopted daughter.
- Ganryu - He is in love with her in Tekken 2. She also defeated him in Tekken: The Motion Picture (non-canon).
- Ogre - Her tribe contained legends about him.
- Jun Kazama - Saved her from being killed by Kazuya Mishima in Tekken: The Motion Picture (non-canon).
This section is incomplete. You can help the Tekken Wiki by expanding it.
Fighting style Edit
- The kanji for "Chang Kenpo" (中国拳法) translates to "Chinese Martial Arts", which is universely known as "Kung-fu".
- Ganryu, a sumo wrestler, is in love with Michelle, but she doesn't feel the same way about him. In Tekken 2, after retiring, Ganryu built a sumo stable to forget about her. Ganryu falls in love with her adoptive daughter Julia in Tekken 5.
- Despite having adopted Julia and not being her birth mother, they do look a lot alike; which is one of the reasons why Ganryu fell in love with Julia after getting over Michelle.
- While not being playable in Tekken 3, Michelle made an appearance in Julia's ending, indicating that she, at least during Tekken 3, is alive.
- Both of Michelle's endings in Tekken and Tekken 2 end with the scene freezing and the word "Fin" (which is the Spanish and French word for "end" or "conclusion"), appearing on the screen.
- In Tekken 6, it is possible to customize Julia to resemble Michelle.
- If Michelle is still alive, she would be 39 in Tekken 3 and 41 at the time of Tekken 4, 5 and 6.
- She, along with Armor King I (before his death in Tekken 4) and Marshall Law are the only eldest non-playable characters in Tekken 3.
- Her sub-boss is Kunimitsu.
- Her sub-boss is Ganryu.
- Michelle had a third costume.
- Her sub-boss is again Ganryu.
- It is possible to customize Michelle with the luchadora outfit from her ending.
- Her luchadora alter-ego name is not mentioned but some fans call her "Emcee" or "Maycee".
- Michelle's current voice actress, Julie Ann Taylor, narrated Mokujin's Tekken 6 ending.