Ninjutsu (忍術) is a form of martial arts centered around unconventional warfare, espionage and assassination that is purportedly practiced by the shinobi (commonly known outside of Japan as ninja).
More an art of tricks than an actual martial art, Ninjutsu included methods of unarmed combat (体術 Taijutsu; literally meaning "body skill" or "body art"), methods of combat with weapons (Katana, Wakizashi, Bō, Naginata, Kusarigama, Kunai, Shuriken etc.), methods of gathering information, and techniques of non-detection, avoidance, and misdirection. Ninjutsu can also involve training in free running, swimming, climbing, disguise, escape, concealment, and medicine.
Superhuman or supernatural powers were often associated with the ninja. Some legends include flight, invisibility, shapeshifting, the ability to "split" into multiple bodies, the summoning of animals, and control over the five classical elements. These fabulous notions have stemmed from popular imagination regarding the ninja's mysterious status.
In the Tekken series
Manji Style Ninjutsu (卍忍術)
A fictional style of Ninjutsu praticed by Manji Clan members Yoshimitsu and Kunimitsu. This style reflects many of the modern-time stereotypes associated with the fictional ninja, including flashy moves, impossible spins, weird stances, and supernatural-type moves like Yoshimitsu's teleport and Kunimitsu's fire breath. Notably, this style involves use of various weapons: Yoshimitsu's Katana and Wakizashi, and Kunimitsu's Kunai.
Even though Raven sports a fair number of supernatural moves too, like some teleportation moves and "shadow clones", his style of Ninjutsu is designed to be much more similar to the traditional, real-life Ninjutsu than its Manji counterpart.
- Mokujin - Through mimicry.
- Tetsujin - Through mimicry.
- Combot - Tekken 4 only; through mimicry.
- Unknown - Tekken Tag Tournament only; through mimicry.
- Kinjin - Through mimicry.
- Ninjas are very common in fighting games. Some examples include Guy and Ibuki from the Street Fighter series, Andy Bogard and Mai Shiranui from Fatal Fury series and King of Fighters series, Kasumi, Ayane, Ryu Hayabusa and Hayate from the Dead or Alive series, and others.
- In the Mortal Kombat series, the term Ninja is a loosely used term in the actual sense of ninjas, thus they are a very prominent group, featuring 25 characters listed under this classification. It is used in an umbrella fashion to those who wear a colored uniform and mask to conceal their face. Perhaps the only character in the Mortal Kombat Universe who can be considered an actual ninja storyline-wise is Scorpion, while the cyber-ninja Cyrax is the only one who practices actual Ninjutsu as a fighting style (in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance and Mortal Kombat: Armageddon).
- Ninjutsu at Wikipedia.