Unknown in Tekken Tag Tournament 2
|Fighting Style||Mimic (TTT)|
Kazama Style Traditional Martial Arts (TTT2)
|Game Appearances||Tekken Tag Tournament|
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
This page is about the character, for the stage of the same name, click here.
Unknown (アンウン - Anuun) is a character in Tekken series who was first introduced in Tekken Tag Tournament and hasn't made any other appearances since then until the game's sequel, Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
Since Tekken Tag Tournament's release, Namco has not provided any clear explanation on Unknown. The cancelled comic book Tekken Forever was meant to explain who Unknown was, but it was canceled after only one issue. The Tekken 6 artbook finally revealed that Unknown was originally meant to be Jun Kazama's sister, but was dropped when Tekken Tag Tournament became a non-canon spin-off game.
A werewolf spirit-like creature seems to have possessed Unknown for its own purpose, which is to complete itself, as shown in Unknown's Tekken Tag Tournament ending. The creature accompanies her in battle and mimics Unknown's moves and actions.
Unknown and the wolf-like creature that possesses her aren't actually a tag team per se, as one cannot be switched out for the other. The wolf-like creature actually possesses Unknown to "even out" this disadvantage. While playing against her in story, she has the ability to regenerate lost health that is still red in her health bar, a trait normally attributed only to characters who are tagged out. Further more, Unknown is not knocked out until even the red bits of her health bar has been fully depleted (these traits do not carry over if a player plays as her). In Tekken Tag Tournament 2, she is no longer with the wolf-like creature.
Unknown has shoulder-length dark hair and glowing, yellow eyes. She has the Devil Gene tattoo on her right arm and her naked body is covered in purple slime, barely covering her breasts.
- Mokujin and Tetsujin have to be tagged out and in again in order to mimic a different fighting style. Unknown can do that as well, but additionally, she can mimic a different fighting style by pressing down the R3 button (right analog stick) while playing as her. The new style she will mimic is chosen at random.
- Unknown is unable to mimic the fighting styles of some certain characters that Mokujin and Tetsujin are able to mimic, such as the fighting styles of Prototype Jack, Jack-2 and Gun Jack.
- If Tetsujin or Mokujin is the character first tagged in a battle, the fighting style they mimic will be chosen at random, while Unknown will always start off by mimicing the fighting style of Jun Kazama. Similarly, while Tetsujin's and Mokujin's win animations are those of the character they last minced, Unknown's win animations will always be those of the character she previously minced apart from when she is swapped out, were she will have Jun's animations. Also she has Jun's win animation in Tekken Bowling mode.
In Tekken Tag Tournament 2, she no longer has the wolf-spirit by her side (having killed it in the previous game), and she has only Jun's moveset and unique, boss-style moves.
In place of this is her ability to form large slime constructions from the floor to attack her opponents, commonly using spikes and occasionally, fists. She also possesses a new attack which summons energy in a whirling formation. If her opponents are ensnared in this, she summons a giant slime hand to smack them into the floor which reduces all of their health to red and auto tags them out.
The Jun Kazama/Unknown ControversyEdit
Unknown is the final boss of Tekken Tag Tournament. Unknown is an Asian-looking woman with glowing yellow eyes and purple slime coating her otherwise naked body. Behind her, some sort of wolf-like spirit acts out every move she performs, giving the impression that it is controlling her actions. Unknown has the ability to copy all of the other characters' abilities (except the Jack's), and the player can switch fighting styles on the fly simply by pressing down on the Right analog stick.
What's interesting to note, however, is that Unknown starts with the fighting style of Jun Kazama at the onset of every battle. This, in addition to their similar features, have led many to believe that Unknown is a possessed Jun Kazama.
In the Tekken 6 Art Book, it was finally revealed that Unknown was originally meant to be Jun's sister, but that idea was scrapped as a main story element when Tekken Tag Tournament became non-canonical. This explains their physical similarities as well as make room for why their heights aren't the same and why Jun is right handed while Unknown is left handed, which made it impossible for them to be the same person.
Unknown also appears in Ogre's Tekken Tag Tournament ending. In this ending, Ogre has defeated Jin Kazama, and he is about to consume Jin's soul. However, Unknown interupts him, and it is implied that the two engage in a fight,and Unknown is seen without the Wolf Demon. Her apparent independent and selfless intervention on the behalf of Jin furthers suspicions that she is Jin's lost mother Jun Kazama.
However, one possible reason for Unknown to interput Ogre (since she was originally planned to be Jun's younger sister) is that she possibly came to avenge her fallen sister. Another possible reason is that Unknown knows that Jin Kazama is Jun's son and she saves him from Ogre because he is her nephew.
Unknown made her first debut as the final boss of Tekken Tag Tournament.
Unknown returned as the final boss of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 without her wolf-like creature. She is also a playable DLC character. She acts as Jun Kazama's final transformation in Arcade Mode final stage round 2.
Ending: Unknown is seen unconscious in a water. Then, Angel comes and smiles on her. She heals her wounds and removes her evil powers. Unknown didn't wake up but she did blink her eyes once.
- An alternate/evil form of Jun Kazama (in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, non-canon).
- While Unknown has the Devil Gene tattoo on her right arm, it is still unconfirmed so far if she actually has the devil gene or not.
- Soul Calibur V character Z.W.E.I. has a wolf-like spirit in his possession, E.I.N., who looks similar to that of Unknown.
- Unknown is the first and so far only female final boss character (although, in Tekken 2 if you play as Devil, Angel is the final boss).
- The Wolf Spirit may not be in full control of Unknown, as before the boss fight she can be seen covering her face in apparent pain or confusion before entering her fighting stance, as if she is fighting or resisting the Spirit. Interestingly, however, the Spirit performs the action with her.
- The slime-like substance covering Unknown could be seen as a manifestation of the Wolf Spirit, as the Spirit has no lower body up to the point which the slime covers on Unknown (feet to waist, and hands). Furthermore, this slime could be the way in which he controls Unknown, only partially controlling her as she is only "half-covered". Also, Unknown's ending shows The Wolf Spirit gaining legs (the covered part of Unknown) by absorbing Unknown, implying further that the slime has some connection to the Spirit. Although in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, the wolf spirit is absent and yet she still has the slime.
- In Tekken Tag Tournament, Unknown's voice is a distorted version of Angel's.
- Unknown and Mokujin (female) are currently the only female mimic characters introduced in the series.
See Unknown's Gallery