Zafina was born somewhere in the Middle East to a group of spiritual warriors with an ancient past and, as such, she possesses great spiritual abilities of her own.
Since childhood, Zafina was raised to be a protector of an imperial tomb. Several years ago, a foreign army attacked the imperial tomb she and her group were protecting and Zafina single-handedly wiped every single one of them out. Since then, the group’s guru appointed her to be its sole protector.
In her public life, she uses her spiritual powers as an astrologist, but recently she has only been able to see evil omens, and her premonitions have grown more and more intense by the day. Seeking to understand the meaning behind all of this, Zafina sought the advice of her guru, and he began to tell her of an ancient prophecy passed down from generation to generation only to a select few. According to the prophecy, when two evil stars come into contact, the seal of the tomb will be broken and the one held captive will be released, inevitably bringing about the destruction of the world. Zafina considered both the meaning behind the guru’s tale and her own dire premonitions.
Zafina is very intelligent, as evidenced by her knowledge of Azazel. She is also a determined woman who strives for success in order to avoid chaos. Despite this, she is quite calm and focused, not letting her emotions get the best of her while on a mission.
Zafina heard of the King of Iron Fist Tournament 6, and that Kazuya and Jin were meant to be participating in the tournament. Zafina set out to join the tournament, with the intention of destroying the two evil stars.
Ending Description::Having defeated Azazel, Zafina exits his Temple and approaches her guru. They nod to each other, acknowledging Zafina's permission to re-enter the temple and face the devil, and her understanding of the task. After Zafina enters the temple, the structure collapses, presumably with her still inside.
Zafina has a minor role in this mode. She follows Lars throughout the mode, just like Raven. She does, however, appear in some scenes - she talks to Wang about having faith in Lars, regarding his ability to stop the war, while watching Lars' vehicle leave the container terminal, as well as confronting Jin, telling him of her premonitions and warning him about his warring, unaware of his knowledge of Azazel. She also helps Lars and Raven defeat hordes of Tekken Force soldiers on one stage and provides vital information to them.
Zafina appeared in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 as a playable character.
Ending Description: In this ending, Zafina also acts as the narrator. The threat of the "two stars that would shake the world" is now over, and Zafina watches a full moon in the sky before touching an ancient wall, pondering why she is still tormented by feelings of unease and remarking that "a new star may already be rising somewhere in this world". As she does so, she is ambushed by a small group of soldiers, who she defeats with ease. Zafina turns and exits the area, certain that she will be able to protect the land from any other evils that may emerge.
Second only to Lei in total number of stances and transitions to stances from attacks, Zafina is a genuinely tricky and unpredictable character, whose strength lies not so much in her sheer power but in her less tangible elements. While mostly unsafe and easily punishable, her moves are so unorthodox that most opponent can't react properly. Her range is also one of her greatest weapons, and she can punish opponents from what are usually safe ranges.
Zafina's fighting style, only referred to as "Ancient Assassination Arts", has unique fighting stances and abnormal moves that director Katsuhiro Harada likened to that of a "spider". Her style requires large levels of flexibility and even contortionism. Her Scrarecrow stance is similar to a common Indian dance pose which has lead some fans to erroneously believe that her style is based on Indian Kalaripayat, but the moves depicted in the game actually bear no resemblance to any existing martial art.
- Jin Kazama - She is trying to stop him and Kazuya from colliding, as it would eventually lead to the end of the world. However, she didn't know of Jin's true intentions regarding Azazel.
- Kazuya Mishima - She is trying to stop him and Jin from colliding. She sees Kazuya more of a threat than Jin, despising the former's true motives.
- Azazel - Her enemy. Her society has been guarding Azazel's seal for many generations.
- Wang Jinrei - Her ally, she also assured him that Lars will save the world (a prediction that was to become only half-true).
- Lars Alexandersson - She is certain that he will save the world (a prediction that turned out to be only half-true).
- Zafina is another form name of Zafir which in Arabic language means "Victorious".
- The European Tekken 6 website mistakenly refers to Zafina's nationality as Indian. However, her original Japanese bio, as well as her North American bio and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 bio, state it as being simply unknown.
- Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada has also confirmed Zafina to be of Middle Eastern origin, citing her as "a female character from the Middle East who uses ancient assassination arts". Some time after this, he stated that she was of Arabian origin on Twitter , and later stated that she is "probably from Egypt".
- Based on feedback from fans, Harada and his development team made Zafina specifically to address the need for a smooth-hitting, prey-stalking female in the series.
- The naming themes for her moves are wildly different between the Japanese and English versions. The Japanese version uses a wide variety of mythical creatures and weapons from many cultures' mythologies, including several demons described in the Lesser Key of Solomon. The English version, meanwhile, refers almost entirely to Mesopotamian lore.
- Her Japanese moveset may likely reflect more of how her heritage draws major influences from the dynamic history of the Middle East in the early part of the First Millennium; many parts of Eastern Europe and the Western Middle East were the beginnings of the Silk Road, which saw great amounts of trade and cultural interaction between Europe and Asia, while the inclusion of Norse mythology based names also stems from the close interaction between that of Arabia and the Varangians, who were Nordic Vikings that traveled eastward during the times of the Viking Age; the most famous evidence of this interaction would be that of the chronicles of the Arab traveler Ahmad Ibn Fadlan.
- Her facial build and make-up makes her strongly resemble Thailand's leading main actress, Malalene (during the 1970's).
- Soul Calibur character Viola's moveset resembles Zafina's, as they share many of the same kicks. Additionally, they both have psychic powers.
- Zafina is similar, and often compared to, Rose's apprentice and Street Fighter V new character, Menat, as both women hail from Egypt and share the same occupation of fortune telling.
- Zafina also bears a slight resemblance to Mileena from Midway's Mortal Kombat series, in terms of her physique and fighting style.
- In Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2, she is voiced by Lisle Wilkerson, who previously voiced Nina Williams and Christie Monteiro.
- In the "Power is Everything" trailer for Bloodline Rebellion, Zafina is shown wielding two daggers (at 0:42 - 0:44).
- Along with fighting in the trailer, Zafina also opened two doors, and appeared to be shocked at what she saw. What she saw is Azazel.
- Zafina can be customized to resemble Princess Jasmine from Disney's Aladdin.
- Zafina and Julia Chang shared the same goal (to stop Jin and Kazuya from colliding).
- Zafina's Stage 1 and Stage 2 opponents in Scenario Campaign's "Arena" mode are Raven and Kazuya Mishima.
- Her ending is connected to Devil Jin's ending, where she was seen taking Azazel's orb.
- Her Player 1 outfit has been modified, with the addition of white capris known as 'salwar' under her red skirt, black shoes replacing her gold sandals, a few minor alterations to her top in terms of design and color scheme, including the addition of some decorative bangles (the reasons for these sudden changes have yet to be specified).
- She has a special tag throw with True Ogre where she will perform Diabolos while True Ogre will ram the stunned opponent with his horns.
- Her item move is a mask that allows her to summon a demon spirit to accompany her in battle. However, it is just a ghoulish-looking floating head that flies around, therefore it can not contribute to the actual fight.
- She has a special continue screen with Hwoarang where he will start moving forward in his "Left Flamingo" stance while Zafina follows him on her "Scarecrow" stance.
- In Street Fighter X Tekken, Juri's Swap Costume is Zafina's Tekken 6 outfit.
- In Tekken: Blood Vengeance, Zafina's dossier is briefly seen when Anna Williams opens a file containing dossiers of various persons of interest.
- ^ https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/452138449017896960
- ^ https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/334161379500118016
- ^ https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/452138449017896960
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebVDKx_7gZU&fmt=18